Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Intro into Piano/Keyboard

Options
  • 26-04-2016 1:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

I want to start playing piano and/or keyboard.
    I played a small bit when I was younger and really enjoyed it.

I want to start off cheap until I can grow my skills, then upgrade equipment as needed.

I have a new Macbook Pro, with GarageBand (which I'll use at the beginning).
    I want to get a Midi-Keyboard.

Any recommendations on what kind to get?
    I'm unsure on how many keys I need, fully/semi/not weighted, etc
    I will only be playing piano songs, so I have no need for any additional functionality.

I'm based in Galway, but I presume buying online would get the best deal.
    Any help at all would be wonderful, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭PopSensyDad

Hi rolo454, this is my first post at boards.ie.

I may recommend ...

- semi or full-weighted keys (I'd imagine you will have a chance to play an acoustic piano sometime)
    - 88 keys (or 76 keys if popular only)
    - USB enabled (obviously)

You seem to consider starting with a budget keyboard, but why not a decent/mid-range one? I believe you will improve faster, and there will be more enjoyment in terms of performance experience. You might gain more in less cost than buying 2 keys. (I end up with Kawai VPC1 + Pianoteq after lots of waste of money.)

But after all, you can start with any keyboard lol Enjoyment and regular practice are more important than the gears.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭johnplayer

It's a few years back now but my first was a Casio CDP100 with a full size 88 key keyboard with decent action and a modest set of piano and organ sounds, gimmick-free.

The speakers are a bit weak on this model but they sound tremendous through headphones. The grand piano sound has a subtle stereo effect reflecting the sound from a true piano - you hear the bass sound to the left, and the treble to the right.

Ensure that you're buying a package with the matching Casio stand, or else you'll just get either the keyboard section to sit on a table top, or keyboard plus a folding X stand, which won't be very stable.

Advertisement