Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows Recommendations

Options
  • 25-04-2016 10:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi
    We are looking at having our windows replaced and have got quotes from a number of companies. I wondered if anyone had any recommendations or experiences they could share. We are looking at Sean Doyle, Keane, Grady Joinery or Amber/Earthkind. PM me if required. Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Mod Note: As the OP suggests, by PM only. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭corcadorcha

I am looking at the same looking for new Windows. Could people also pm me of recommendations of which are Bert. Prefer a passive window.
    Thanks,

• Registered Users Posts: 12,287 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

RenoEllie wrote: »
    Hi
    We are looking at having our windows replaced and have got quotes from a number of companies. I wondered if anyone had any recommendations or experiences they could share. We are looking at Sean Doyle, Keane, Grady Joinery or Amber/Earthkind. PM me if required. Thanks

What's driving this project?

In terms of managing your energy bills and making the house more comfortable, perhaps, and I say perhaps, new windows as a stand alone, aesthetics driven project, may not represent the best value?
    Have you considered replacing the existing glazing if frames are okay.

I pose the question because it is too easy to get sucked into the new windows sales platter/blather, without considered the house in a holistic way.

The other issue is that things get done in the wrong order: new windows followed by external insulation..

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭JonathonS

+1 on proper planning.

When I replaced windows in our house in Dublin I checked a few sites, got a couple of quotes, and basically replaced what I had with uPVC ones. For he next 10 years I lived to regret my lack of research, as neighbours replaced theirs with aluclad and in particular with different designs in both uPVC and aluclad that added greatly to the appearance of what was a very basic semi-d.

Even if your budget won't stretch beyond uPVC have a look at what colours are available, they don't have to be white. Avoid wood-effect uPVC, it just looks plasticky. I have seen some nice grey and black uPVC.

Think about the number of panes per window and their design. For example, our landing window had two opening panes, even though the sill was at chest level. I should have just got a single fixed window. Check how wide the frames are, especially if there are several openings.

Even if Internorm, Rationel, Nordan, Carlson, Velfac are too expensive have a look at their websites and others for inspiration on design.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 RenoEllie

Thanks Calahonda
    The windows definitely need a full replacement, the ones we have are very old aluminium ones that radiate cold - we even have duct tape stopping a draft in one place at the moment! We are also having internal insulation done and understand that the windows need replacing first - we are discussing this with the windows people as we go as I know one will impact the other.Thanks for the advice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 RenoEllie

Thanks Jonathan S We are considering the design and are probably going more simple than what we currently have as we want to make the most of some of the views we have. I have looked at the grey ones and I think they do look good but worry that they will date, as they are very ' in ' at the moment, I am also not sure they match the house that well due to the brick work. Thanks for the tips on design ideas, will take a look at those recommendations.

Advertisement