Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Self-advertising in the footer of customer websites

Options
  • 24-04-2016 11:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭

I see this fairly frequently; And I understand why it's done.

What about in the case where you created a WordPress site for someone else, using a pre-existing theme? How much credit can you take here and can you put your name in the footer?

How would you phrase without sounding like you are claiming the content as your own - Because really it's just filling in text and making adjustments here and there. Outside of that, possibly managing the site for said customer. Usually I'd see something along the lines of 'Design by X' or 'A site by X'. Can't really say that in this scenario can you?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Personally I just wouldn't do it, I think it makes the website and the site developers look cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭Danger781

Graham wrote: »
    Personally I just wouldn't do it, I think it makes the website and the site developers look cheap.

This is what I was leaning towards - I couldn't phrase it, or place it, in such a way that it didn't stand out awkwardly..

I'll probably just end up creating a personal portfolio or something on those lines and post it there - Maybe..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭daymobrew

If you are using a child theme (and you should) you could put it in the Author comment section of the child theme's style.css file.

• Administrators Posts: 53,438 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I've done it, but only when I've been helping someone out and done the site for free. I just did "Site by <link to my twitter>". In these cases though I've actually done the entire thing bespoke.

I wouldn't put it there for just setting up a wordpress and installing a theme, nor would I put it there if it was paid work (obviously).

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Aswerty

I've never done it since anything I've built has either been owned by me or I've been a salaried employee. But I kind of like it - the only people who'll ever notice it are people looking around the footer for information.

Just some examples of self-advertising from studios that I've come across that look fine:

http://www.theblackdog.ie/
    http://www.lotusworks.com/
    http://www.tipthecan.ie/

Most things people build has their name on it. I don't think building websites should be any different. Of course if you're paying for a site and you don't want it there you're well within reason (and your rights) to not have it there.

As to the argument about using a template. For me most templates are essentially white label products - so when someones uses one to build a site theirs is the only name you should see as far as I'm concerned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

If it was a product website why not something casual (depends on the website) like "Website Assembled in Ireland by Danger781" or "Website Serviced by Danger781"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,089 ✭✭✭Lavinia

You can write along the lines
    Author's site adopted for __ by XYZ.
    where author would be a link to website theme creator, for __ the company/client that hired you to do so and then XYZ your name with link to your site.
    I think it is okay true and neat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭zig

Where I work we put our name on it with their permission of course. I think it helps with SEO and also for referral jobs. If someone contacts you because they like the site they are on and they want something as good the job is pretty much yours to lose!

I think if its done subtly and not disturbing the design of the site then its fine.

As for doing it on themes, Im not sure why someone would even bother! There's nothing to even take credit for.

Advertisement