Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

golf shoe cleats/studs

Options
  • 24-04-2016 10:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭

Need help guys

Have a pair of nike lunar 2 for 18 months and the studs are starting to break.

the problem is i can not for the life of me take them out for replacing.
    Any tips for removing them ive tried one of the gadgets with the teeth but no luck.

I m thinking drilling a small hole and getting screwdriver at this stage.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭dos29

Need help guys

Any tips for removing them ive tried one of the gadgets with the teeth but no luck.

Apparently.....
    Heat the head of a flat head screwdriver good and proper, melt it into the spike, let the plastic cool and solidify around the screwdriver head and then twist.
    Never done it myself but sounds plausible!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,493 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

Need help guys

Are these the cleats that are in your shoe?

SilverTornado_TOURLOCK_front__14281.1444251813.1280.1280.png?c=2
    They are a 'Tour lock' fitting. I'm pretty sure that it's a standard enough removal tool that you can use like the one below which comes with three different bits.

champ_max_pro_wrench_4304_p__74368.1425494752.1280.1280.jpg?c=2

There's no way that the manufacturers expect customers to be driving red hot screwdrivers into the soles of their shoes. That would be on the outside edge of monumental negligence. :eek:

Go to www.golfspikesdirect.com, I got replacement spikes and that same tool from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Are these the cleats that are in your shoe?

They are a 'Tour lock' fitting. I'm pretty sure that it's a standard enough removal tool that you can use like the one below which comes with three different bits.

There's no way that the manufacturers expect customers to be driving red hot screwdrivers into the soles of their shoes. That would be on the outside edge of monumental negligence. :eek:

Go to www.golfspikesdirect.com, I got replacement spikes and that same tool from them.
    +1

All cleats are removable with a tool. Unless you're buying really cheap shoes that is. There are a few different types but they all have a 'lock' mechanism that requires a fair degree of torque to 'unlock'. You won't get that with a bodged up heated screwdriver 'tool'. You'd be mad to even try.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Running Balance

prawnsambo wrote:
    All cleats are removable with a tool. Unless you're buying really cheap shoes that is. There are a few different types but they all have a 'lock' mechanism that requires a fair degree of torque to 'unlock'. You won't get that with a bodged up heated screwdriver 'tool'. You'd be mad to even try.

Cheerd guys.

I have one of those tools and no budge. Instead its pulling the remaining grips off the cleet.

Was in american golf last night getting a club re gripped and the guy in there said shoe manufacturer like nike and footjoy recommend changing cleats annually to stop them getting imbedded..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Cheerd guys.

I have one of those tools and no budge. Instead its pulling the remaining grips off the cleet.

Was in american golf last night getting a club re gripped and the guy in there said shoe manufacturer like nike and footjoy recommend changing cleats annually to stop them getting imbedded..
    Are you using the right bit? It sounds like you're using one that grips outside the centre rather than the dual pin bit that fits into the holes shown. Unless of course the ones you have don't have those holes, in which case ignore this. :)

You don't have to change them, just remove them and clean regularly is all. Unless they're damaged of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭JIdontknow

Not sure if you have a bench vice, or access to one, but with the ones really tight, I spray some wd40 or hot / boiling water on them, to try loosen / break the seal (Depending if the cleats are metal threads or the plastic loc type ones, edit just saw they are nike lunar so are the plastic loc type ones I presume). Then clamp the tool in the vice, line up the two prongs in the cleat holes, that way you can really lean down on the shoe with more upper body force and turn the shoe with the tool clamped.

Eventually got the 4 i needed to get off.

Got a knife and hot water to loose the mud that was biding the cleat. That somewhat loosened them the removal took got them off then..

Such a ball ache not helped by breaking the good chopping knife. the missus is gonna kill me when she finds out!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

You need o get a cleat ripper tool as per above - that or replace your spikes a bit more often!

You need o get a cleat ripper tool as per above - that or replace your spikes a bit more often!

I have a cleat ripper but even that didnt loose the mud binding until i put hot water on it..

Yeah going to change the lot now. Knowing my luck the shoes will burst and i ll have to buy new after all my work!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,493 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

I have a cleat ripper but even that didnt loose the mud binding until i put hot water on it..

Yeah going to change the lot now. Knowing my luck the shoes will burst and i ll have to buy new after all my work!!
    Yeah, it's worth taking them out semi-regularly when cleaning your shoes. Dust, fine grit and water all combine to make a kind of concrete that will defeat your efforts to remove them if you leave them too long.

• Advertisement
Advertisement