Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Vintage car pin stripe

Options
  • 24-04-2016 1:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hey,

I hope some of you out there can help me. I have a 1969 Morris minor and recently had it resprayed. I'm looking for someone in the galway area that does pin stripe painting as the lad that resprayed the car did not do pin striping. It's all that I have left to do and its one of the few jobs I'm not willing to undertake as you only get one shot at it and I have no experience in that field.
    Cheers in advance!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Perhaps consider decals or letrastripes? It's cheap and if you don't like them, you can always take them off when you find a pinstripe guy?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Morris-Minor-Red-Pin-Stripe-Set-4-door-FREE-P-P-UK-/260948308884

Alternatively - this is what's used for masking off 'pinstripe' lines in modern production lines:
    http://3mcollision.com/products/masking/fine-line-masking-tape/scotch-fine-line-tape-218-06306.html
    Eliminates (mostly) the need for a steady hand with the paintbrush.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Techman2008

Thanks Alastair,
    I have considered those options and will have to resort to those if I cannot find someone to do it free hand. I would prefer a freehand job over a tape or masked stripe as it looks more authentic.

I'll look into the links you provided nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

If you know anyone involved in the pony trap business. They usually have lovely hand painted pinstripes done.
    I agree regarding the authenticity of vinyl stripes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Zoo4m8

Google 'Beugler pin striping tool' ....I used one on tanks and mudguards etc on the the odd Motorbike I rebuilt ..takes quite a bit of practice but looks really well when you get the hang of it, doing feathered ends is tricky but with most factory car applications this is not an issue. Anyway , it might be another option..

Hey Sean,
    Never even crossed my mind about that!! My sister is big into horses and trap driving. Hopefully she would have a few contacts!!

• Advertisement

Zoo4m8 wrote: »
    Google 'Beugler pin striping tool' ....I used one on tanks and mudguards etc on the the odd Motorbike I rebuilt ..takes quite a bit of practice but looks really well when you get the hang of it, doing feathered ends is tricky but with most factory car applications this is not an issue. Anyway , it might be another option..
    Just put a bid on a very good condition used deluxe model.
    I saw this in action a few years back by a good friend of mine who has since passed away. He had borrowed it off a guy who I don't know.
    I could never find it online though as I didn't have the correct name for it.
    Cheers for the heads up!!
    I will have to do a lot of practice runs first, I have a feeling my shed wall will be a bit stripy by the end of the project....

I took an offer I couldn't refuse for mine a couple years ago from a lad that does custom work and I'd sort of forgotten about it even though there is an old petrol tank that I practised on covered in crappy stripes lying in the corner of the workshop....
    This all has got me thinking its time to get another!
    While I'm here, I recall that getting paint consistency right was important, some enamels were good to go straight from the tin..
    Hope it works out for you, it's a really satisfying tool to use when you get the hang of it.

Zoo4m8 wrote: »
    I took an offer I couldn't refuse for mine a couple years ago from a lad that does custom work and I'd sort of forgotten about it even though there is an old petrol tank that I practised on covered in crappy stripes lying in the corner of the workshop....
    This all has got me thinking its time to get another!
    While I'm here, I recall that getting paint consistency right was important, some enamels were good to go straight from the tin..
    Hope it works out for you, it's a really satisfying tool to use when you get the hang of it.

Yeah, paint consistency and temperature from what I recall... Plenty practice. . Lucky where the stripe is to be applied is on a ridge so I will have a guide to follow...
    Your not anywhere near galway are you by any chance?? ☺

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭shagman

There was a lad called shamrocker who used to do it he lives in france now though. He may know of someone in Ireland who does it though.

https://www.facebook.com/Pinstriping-by-Shamrocker-364618070118/?fref=nf

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

I'd say that tool Zoo4m8 linked is the job with a bit of practice. I know the ridge along the side of the minor so that should be a handy guide.
    I saw an old guy do it freehand on the wheel of a trap once and it was fascinating. Looked dead simple! I asked what type of hair was in the brush, and he replied "me own" :D
    He'd made the brush himself.

• Advertisement

Yeah, paint consistency and temperature from what I recall... Plenty practice. . Lucky where the stripe is to be applied is on a ridge so I will have a guide to follow...
    Your not anywhere near galway are you by any chance?? ☺

Other side of the country, Wicklow

Advertisement