Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer work for a civil engineering student?

Options
  • 24-04-2016 1:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi all,

I'm not sure if this is appropriate for this part of the forum, but I'm hoping that some people who are already in the industry could give me some advice for my situation.

I'm currently a third year civil engineering student in TCD and I was hoping to get some summer work that would have something to do with my course. I had originally had different plans for the summer, so unfortunately when those plans fell through a lot of the bigger engineering firms already had their summer vacancies filled.

I've contacted a good amount of civil engineering related businesses since then and usually the answer is that the positions have been filled a few months back or that they want somebody for longer than just a summer placement. I got an interview with one place that seemed perfect, but they wanted me to start in May which is before my exams finish.

As it stands, I have a backup offer of an accounting job for the summer. However I'd much prefer something related to civil engineering if it was at all possible.

Would anybody here have any advice from when they were a student? Or even some suggestions as to who I could contact? I'm a hard worker and pretty confident in getting a first class honours this year, so I would put a lot of effort into whatever job I have.

Many thanks in advance to all advice and help!

Comments

I saw a job up on indeed.ie a few days ago with GMC Sierra looking for Student Engineers who can drive.

Otherwise ask around - perhaps your lecturers could recommend somewhere, even abroad for the summer?

Advertisement