Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using a generator to power strobes?

Options
  • 23-04-2016 11:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭

Does anyone here use a generator to power strobes? I'm interested in checking out the possibility of powering Elinchrom Brxi 500's with a generator. Any advice out there?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Not having used it myself. A generator does seem to be a bit of an overkill. There is no reason why it would not work if you have one available. An easier solution would be a small inverter and a battery. It would be more compact and quieter. The power of the modelling lamp is 100W. I am not sure how much extra power is used to cycle the strobe, but I would think that a 300W inverter would surfice. I picked up two such inverters for under €50 a while ago. Then you just need a battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

The only problem I see with an inverter is as the battery discharges the light intensity of your strobe will change. This would be quite noticeable with prolonged use.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Splinters

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    The only problem I see with an inverter is as the battery discharges the light intensity of your strobe will change. This would be quite noticeable with prolonged use.

Are you sure? I'd have thought the recharge time would certainly increase but the light output would be consistent.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Inverters do not work that way. They will produce mains power until the batteries drop below a set voltage then they stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Splinters wrote: »
    Are you sure? I'd have thought the recharge time would certainly increase but the light output would be consistent.
    CabanSail wrote: »
    Inverters do not work that way. They will produce mains power until the batteries drop below a set voltage then they stop.

I am wrong so, apologies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭ValueInIreland

Be careful what Inverter / generator solution you choose, if it has the wrong type of output it will fry the electronics in your BxRi. Modern Flash heads must have clean, "Pure Sine Wave" output. Power supplies like those from Godox and Innovatronix ARE suitable. See this background article: https://www.innovatronix.com/index.php/component/k2/item/367-shoot-in-more-locations-than-one-with-tronix-explorer on the Innovatronix site.
    Dedicated portable flash systems from the likes of Elinchrom have become a lot more affordable, just google: elinchrom ranger quadra living light set - only €895 for a one head kit now. You have almost as much power, but in a lighter more portable setup.

Advertisement