Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peptizole & update

Options
  • 23-04-2016 1:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭

Hello, some may remember my previous post about my aggressive Arab who cannot be caught and would attack when tacking up.

15hh 15 year old Arabian mare, have her 9 years.

Well a bit of an update ... She's much sweeter, Ive had the vet out to her as she was incredibly violent with the saddle, toppled herself over once in her attempt to kick me when I was putting the saddle on.

Now vet checked her over - found nothing wrong on the onset, no signs of arthritis,. We put her on bute for 10 days and the horse was perfect, little to no kicking out, no biting but some flinching and tail flicking

2 weeks ago I brought her to the vet for X-rays for kissing spines, vet did 5 X-rays along her spine, found small wear and tear on one of her wither bones but no kissing spines and her back is nice and strong.

During this visit the vet put the saddle on ... And the horse flipped out! She went from calm and curious to an unbroken wild horse! Vet is baffled by this, she says there's definitely pain as she was fine on the Bute. The vet could not really come to a conclusion on her.

So now I'm on a months trial with peptizole, as she is very sensitive around the flank and stomach area. Medicine is for stomach ulcers'
    Just wonder if anyone has ever used it? How soon do you notice a change! She's on it 2 weeks now and one day will be kicky and bitey and others shed be just bitey. There's still a lot of flinching and tail shaking and whites of eyes when saddle is put on. Otherwise she is so sweet.

If this Peptizole doesn't work I will retire her .... Just don't want to count all my eggs just yet though!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

How are you getting on with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

She's very up and down ... I've made the decision to semi retire her and to find a field for her for the next year. I will lease another horse, it's not fair on her. If she's bad still when I pull her in I'll go for the Indept X-rays of her hips and croup to see if that's the problem .... I want to let her be a horse first to see if that helps her

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Ah_Yeah

Have you scoped her for ulcers?

Advertisement