Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Found fledgling

Options
  • 23-04-2016 11:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭

Found this little chick/fledgling on road on our walk this a.m. Maybe a wren? Has some feathers but chick-fuzz still on its back. Put it in shoe box with water and tiny scrap of cat food. Any hope for it you think of survival? it wouldn't have lasted a minute in the road....

Dang, am on my phone, where is the option to attach photo?!?!?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭awanderer

Hi aonb, I remember few years ago, on the "nature and birdwatching" forum, there was a thread about a tiny finch (I can't remember if it was a gold or a green one) being found. At the time, I thought the people who found it were very naive if they believe it had the slightest chance of survival (there was a photo where it look tiny compared to a coin). It turned out tje finche survived and became their pet. It might be worth having a look at that thread as lots of interesting info were shared there.
    I will try to find the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭awanderer

Oops, I don't know how to link on my tablet but the thread was "Is this beast a baby sparrow" on the "nature and birdwatching forum". I hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭neenam

Good job on getting the fledgling out of there (most people wouldn't give a toss). I would recommend taking it out of the box and leaving it in a safe area eg under a hedge nearby as it might have fallen off a tree in the area. Check out Irish Wildlife Matters online too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Thanks for that, will go have a look at that thread.
    This little thing had zero chance on the road, its got feathers, so Im hoping it might have a chance to survive

So, what to give it to eat - think its a wren - its got water... mashed up a tiny amount of cat food, will get some worms if it looks like its going to eat, when its got over the shock

Wont put it in a hedge, there are lots of cats about. I also have a cat, that is an excellent bird-killer :mad: Want to give it a chance...

(as an aside, how does one attach a photo thats on ones phone?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

There should be an 'Add attachment' link at the bottom of a reply box. But that was before the new update came into force so can't say for sure now.

If it looks ridiculously grumpy and has no tail to speak of, it's prob a wren. At that age though they'll be eating anything the mother finds, possibly more tree dwelling bugs than worms so thinks about woodlice, grubs etc.
    Might be a tad difficult to feed, wonder if you could play wren feeding videos on youtube and it might encourage it to open it's gob for you?

Keep it in a cool, dark place for the moment anyway, they can get shocked very easily. Used to put any awol fledglings we found into a tub or a shoebox like you.

Is it like this? http://www.funinthemaking.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/BabyWrenO.jpg

• Advertisement

Awanderer, that was a great thread about BOB the finch!

Kovu, have it in a cool shed, with some water and a bit of mashed up cat food.

here hopefully is a picture:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Hmm it's definitely not a wren, hard to see with the brightness of the flash but looks more like a female greenfinch.
    Has it taken any water? Usually if we find them stunned like that I open their beak and dribble in a few drops of water at a time and then leave them be for an hour or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭neenam

If you go onto the website i mentioned earlier, click on baby bird followed by rescue or not and you will find information on what to do if you come across a fledging. There's one part that says "fledgings often land on the ground while learning how to fly. During this time the mother will continue feeding the bird for a couple of days". It looks like it fell off from it's nest trying to fly so just moving it out of harm's way would be enough.

I would still advise you to leave it in a safe place near the road where you found it. If you still find it there the next day then you can take it in. For the sake of the bird i hope that you have at least left it out of the box for it to fly away safely from the shed. Doesn't look like a wren or greenfinch, young birds can be tricky to id alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Stigura

Aonb; From what I can make out from that photo? That's no fledgling ~ it looks for all the world like a fully grown warbler!

So, going by logical deductions? I'd stick my neck out and suggest I'd suspect it to be a Willow Warbler or Chiffchaff. One which has made the long haul migratory flight back here. Touched down and said;

" Sod that for a game of long distance fliers. I'm knackered! " and simply hasn't got the oomph to go on. That happens.

What do do for it now? Clock's ticking. It'll have to be done damn soon. Unfortunately, I haven't got a clue! Warblers, I believe, like eating these tiny, green caterpillars they find on trees. Sycamore could be a good one to look at. But, whether it'll last while you risk life and limb trying ....?

Best thing I can suggest is ye google for " Native Birds In Aviculture Forum ". Register there and ask on the Softbills board. There's people there who breed and maintain the most incredible sorts. They'd know how to feed it.

Be warned though; It may well already have taken itself beyond the point of no return. That's nature. Don't beat yeself up if there's nothing ye can do for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Warbler, adult. Please put it back near where you found it.

On a general note at this time of year, can people please not pick up 'lost or abandoned' young birds.

• Advertisement

definately NOT an adult - I know feathers (!) - this one has 'chick fuzz' still.
    So its eaten a good bit, and is looking much perkier. Making no attempt to fly though. :( I left the door wide open, and the big windows too. I found it a few metres from my gate, so will bring it back as soon as I can get the cat inside - shes far too curious to let roam out there while I deposit a young bird outside - I reckon it could have been in shock from the fall from the nest maybe

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

From the picture it looks very much like an adult warbler.

If it hasn't made a break for it after a few hours in the box I wouldn't like its chances. If you have mealworms they might be worth leaving in the box, and put the box somewhere where it has a clear route of excape if/when it tries to fly away

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

On a general note at this time of year, can people please not pick up 'lost or abandoned' young birds.

I commonly come across 'downed' birdies this time of year around the lanes and fields surrounding me. My actions are normally dictated by the local risk to the animal. I sometimes lift the fledgers back into the ivy or bush nearest to it, but due to traffic, farm machinery or predators I have taken a few in over the years.

All but one survived and as soon as they can fly a few feet they disappear off into my garden. I usually try a combination of foods until they take something.

I see it as giving them a better chance of surviving than they had if I had left them where they were.

TT

Advertisement