Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Subing in secondary schools

Options
  • 22-04-2016 9:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I was wondering how you go about getting work as a sub teacher or if I could . I have my honours degree but Im not accepting my pme for this September. Can I still do sub teaching?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Medermott wrote: »
    I was wondering how you go about getting work as a sub teacher or if I could . I have my honours degree but Im not accepting my pme for this September. Can I still do sub teaching?

No you're not a teacher.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Seannew1

No you're not a teacher.

Not exactly true. You may be hired as a sub in a school provided that a suitably qualified teacher is not available.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭2011abc

You can only be paid out of school funds though , NOT govt paid.Without a Teaching Council registration as fully qualified you can't recieve state pay .Many teachers have lost out on a lot of pay over this .Ive definitely heard of cases of many months .No 'back pay' once you give TC their pound of flesh .You need it 100% clarified by school that they are paying you not dept/govt .

• Registered Users Posts: 22,275 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Off topic. Qualified teachers should (one would hope...) use punctuation properly.

Seannew1 wrote: »
    Not exactly true. You may be hired as a sub in a school provided that a suitably qualified teacher is not available.

And how difficult do you think it is to find a qualified sub nowadays? Not very. And this will not be a problem come September with the first graduates of the PME. Also an unqualified person can only be used for a period of five days.

• Advertisement

And how difficult do you think it is to find a qualified sub nowadays? Not very. And this will not be a problem come September with the first graduates of the PME. Also an unqualified person can only be used for a period of five days.

For certain subjects it can be. I know of an unqualified sub in her school since before Christmas who only just left because the woman she was replacing only just returned back from maternity leave.

For certain subjects it can be. I know of an unqualified sub in her school since before Christmas who only just left because the woman she was replacing only just returned back from maternity leave.

Well you should as a teacher knowing this information should have reported the school for their actions - I know I would! I don't think it's fair that an unqualified was teaching when a fully qualified teacher could have built up their experience instead of sitting at home waiting for the phone to ring. Was the unqualified related to the school in any way i.e. Past pupil / parents working there? Was the position properly advertised? I'm sure there is a way to report a school confidentially. What is your opinion Sean? You obviously condoned it and had an 'I'm alright Jack' attitude.

Well you should as a teacher knowing this information should have reported the school for their actions - I know I would! I don't think it's fair that an unqualified was teaching when a fully qualified teacher could have built up their experience instead of sitting at home waiting for the phone to ring. Was the unqualified related to the school in any way i.e. Past pupil / parents working there? Was the position properly advertised? I'm sure there is a way to report a school confidentially. What is your opinion Sean? You obviously condoned it and had an 'I'm alright Jack' attitude.

First of all, it wasn't my school. Second of all, the school did everything in its power to appoint a qualified teacher, they even went some time without any teacher such was the impossibility of finding a sub. As far as I know, she aka; "the unqualified sub" whom you are so dismissive of did a very good job when she was in the school. But by all means feel free to report any unqualified people in the near future if it makes you happy. I am here to give advice to the OP and express my opinion and not be told what I should have done by the likes of you.

First of all, it wasn't my school. Second of all, the school did everything in its power to appoint a qualified teacher, they even went some time without any teacher such was the impossibility of finding a sub. As far as I know, she aka; "the unqualified sub" whom you are so dismissive of did a very good job when she was in the school. But by all means feel free to report any unqualified people in the near future if it makes you happy. I am here to give advice to the OP and express my opinion and not be told what I should have done by the likes of you.

Well unlike the 'fantastic sub' I trained to do the job I'm in. She may have been the best teacher in the world at the end of the day she wasn't a teacher and shouldn't have been there. I will definitely report any school I know that hires unqualified people. That's also the Teaching Council was enacted to make sure that every teacher was qualified.
    There are hundreds of teachers who are finding it very difficult to find any work let alone a nice stretch from Christmas - that would go a nice way into their dip hours. Have a look at the Voice for Teachers Facebook page and see all the posts from teachers looking for work and the struggle they are having even getting one day a week if they're lucky. I'm sure the replies would be the same as mine. Obviously you are in your job with a few years or were lucky and didn't have to go through the struggles teachers now have to go through in order to find work. I don't know of your situation but if you were an NQT and heard there was an unqualified person is a school close by and you were sitting at home on the dole - how would you feel? Similarly if you had a son/daughter who had trained as teachers and couldn't find work but knew of this situation - would you remain tight lipped and let it continue?

Also you are entitled to your opinion but in reality (except for the school you mention), people are not allowed to work in school as teachers unless they are registered with the Teaching Council and to do so, you must hold a teaching qualification. Just because the OP isn't accepting their PME place this year doesn't mean that they are teachers they just met the requirements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Ok Cool the jets folks you're both correct.

You can (in limited circumstances).

But you shouldn't.

Thread closed

Mod

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement