Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iris Murdoch

Options
  • 22-04-2016 8:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭

For years, I'd been meaning to read some of her work based on her reputation as an author. Finally got around to starting "The Philosopher's Pupil" and I'm ready to bin it at page 90.

I'm the OCD type that can't not finish a book once I commit (I've read Finnegan's Wake twice FFS!), but this? I really can't see what the fuss is about her.

It's like the quirks the foibles of the southern English upper-middle class discussed ad nauseum. The dialogue is one-dimensional and overly dramatic, the characterisation is fairly insipid and the whole thing is like one big turgid stew of inconsequentiality. It's like Harold Robbins for the middle classes.

Seriously? Am I missing something about her work? I just can't get into it.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Creative Writing >> Literature.

Advertisement