Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Towing abroad

Options
  • 22-04-2016 5:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi, I was just in the process of renewing my car insurance with AA when they informed me that I am insured to tow my trailer tent in Ireland but not abroad. As we go to France on or holidays in July this is important. She couldn't tell me when I asked what other people do in the same situation. Has anybody any advice for me? Underwriter would be allianz and it is they who said they would not insure me to tow abroad!?
    Cheers!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

Phendrick wrote: »
    Hi, I was just in the process of renewing my car insurance with AA when they informed me that I am insured to tow my trailer tent in Ireland but not abroad. As we go to France on or holidays in July this is important. She couldn't tell me when I asked what other people do in the same situation. Has anybody any advice for me? Underwriter would be allianz and it is they who said they would not insure me to tow abroad!?
    Cheers!

You wouldn't have any comprehensive, accidental damage etc cover. but theres an eu directive that require them to provide third party cover to a minimum level as far as I read last year that includes trailers:
    http://ec.europa.eu/finance/insurance/consumer/motor/index_en.htm
    http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?uri=CELEX%3A32009L0103

"For the purposes of this Directive:
    ‘vehicle’ means any motor vehicle intended for travel on land and propelled by mechanical power, but not running on rails, and any trailer, whether or not coupled;

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Phendrick

Thanks for your reply, I'll quote that directive when I ring them tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Crabbypaddy is correct.

While they might not provide cover for your trailer while abroad - meaning if your trailer will get destroyed in accident caused by you, they won't pay for repairs or replacement of your trailer - but they can't refuse to offer third party cover while towing a trailer.
    That means you will still be fully road legal all over EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Phendrick

Cheers folks, I'll sleep better tonight now!

Advertisement