Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Camping on Lough Corrib

Options
  • 22-04-2016 5:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

Hey People,

I'm looking for a quiet spot on the lake to camp for a night or two. Does anyone have any experience in this?

Thank,
    Simon
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

East or West side?

I kayak around Lough Corrib a fair bit and often camp on the islands or along secluded shoreline. I would probably recommend the west side, the east cant be quite boggy in places. Get a map out, identify the small piers and then walk around the next headland or two to get out of sight (piers can have activity at night). If there is an obvious farm house nearby, you might want to ask permission but I always consider the area from the water's edge (in summer) to the tree line as "commonage". The hazel wood is excellent for firewood.

For starters, try the piers at Oughterard, Carrowmoreknock or Knockferry.

Advertisement