Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Riding centre being sued for a fall

Options
  • 22-04-2016 10:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/dentist-sues-over-hen-party-pony-trek-injuries-34649889.html

There's so much ignorance in that article, it hurts to read...
    A dentist claims she was injured when an unsuitable pony she had been given on her first time riding buckled under her from hunger and exhaustion.

Now, if this was true, fair enough. The ISPCA should also be involved. However, the basis for hunger was that the pony pulled for grass, and the basis for exhaustion was that the pony was used once earlier in the day... They were going down hill and the pony "buckled" but reading the rest of the story, the pony (I think) most likely slipped and she, being a complete beginner, fell off. I wouldn't be surprised if she had either cause the pony to slip by tensing, or made it worse by grabbing the reins and not allowing the pony its head.

I love how she has gone once before when she was a child, and now believes this to be enough to make her an expert on what to expect in a riding school:
    Under cross-examination, she disputed she had horse riding experience from having previously been on a pony trek during a summer holiday when she was 12 or 13.

And an expert of age limits (?) for riding ponies....

I hope this gets scraped and the centre counter sues for defamation. If this is allowed to happen, what would the implications be from now on? Centres refusing to allow beginners, in case they sue? The end of trekking centres?
    Riding is a risk sport. If you sit on the back of a horse, there's a definite chance that at some stage, you will have an unplanned dismount. It's like someone sueing an ice skating rink because they slipped on ice...

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

There's a certain lack of personal responsibility with some people these days that would sicken you. The lady who sued (and won!!) the national parks service is another example

Hopefully will be thrown out

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭silverfox88

UGH. That was actually painful to read. What a moron.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

It would seem that the case is still on going, but can we leave this thread open as a discussion on sueing for injuries sustained in a fall?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

sup_dude wrote: »
    It would seem that the case is still on going, but can we leave this thread open as a discussion on sueing for injuries sustained in a fall?

Hi sup_dude, As you say this case is ongoing, so we can't discuss it. As a result, I'm going to close this thread, but open another one so we can pursue a general discussion on cases taken against riding centres/individuals following falls, incidents, etc.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement