Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pony buckles under weight of dentist...

Options
  • 22-04-2016 9:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/dentist-sues-over-hen-party-pony-trek-injuries-34649889.html

This story strikes me as bizarre, the dentist in question (although I fail to see what relevance her occupation has to the story) claims she had various concerns about the poor pony.

Quote "Maria Gray (33), (10st 5lbs) Saintfield Road, Belfast, told the High Court the animal, which was allegedly only suitable for a child under 14, had been worked before she got on it on a very hot day and was so hungry it kept stopping to eat grass.

She claimed the pony, called 'Chancer', was "on its last legs" when its legs buckled going downhill, throwing her and injuring her chin and wrist.

...She thought her animal looked "very aged and seemed to be on its last legs". She felt strongly Chancer had been out earlier with some children."

Yet this 10st 5lb dentist still got on the poor animal that she felt was only fit to carry a person under 14yrs old and rode it despite her so called concerns.

This is just another typical case of the compensation culture that has taken over Ireland. I sincerely hope that she loses her case and that the judge awards all costs against her. Maybe next time she'll think twice before she hoists her lardy ass onto a small animal.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭neil_

Why would it not be suitable for a certain age range? Surely it's the weight that matters? The world is a confusing place sometimes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Poor pony. Why would you want to ride around a pony that was clearly not able for it? Someone should put a saddle on her and keep her going til she buckled too.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

she probably has developed a fear of ponys

that's got to be worth a million at least

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

I suppose she thought it would be ok but she made an ass out of u and me.

Poor pony. Why would you want to ride around a pony that was clearly not able for it? Someone should put a saddle on her and keep her going til she buckled too.

Kinky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Poor pony's legs injured.

Pony needs braces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

She wrecked a pony and she wants compensation?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,333 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Does 10st count as lardy ass?

kowloon wrote: »
    Does 10st count as lardy ass?

Only if her weight is very unevenly distributed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Thread reminded me of this https://vine.co/v/eqZODBjPeVx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

What an absolute twat. Riding is a risk sport. This is plastered over every single riding school I've been in. People fall off horses. In fact, there's a saying that it takes seven falls to make a rider. Falling off is part of riding.

There is no age limit to horses/ponies. It's a combination of weight and height but in the case of trekking ponies, it's usually weight as you are only going to be walking around. I wouldn't be one bit surprised if she chose the smaller pony. The vast majority of new people do, out of ignorance. For the record, bigger horses are, for the most part, quieter.

As for eating grass... this is a bad habit formed from having beginners on its back, who can't get it to lift its head. Every horse would do it if it could get away with it, and nearly every pony tries anyway. It has nothing to do with hunger and if that is her only basis, she is very much mistaken. Same with exhaustion. A riding school/hacking pony should think nothing if being used twice in a day. This is a relatively small amount of times, and may have even been a quiet day for the pony.

Since she has over exaggerated everything else, I can only conclude that the pony slipped going down hill (a common occurance) and she fell due to a lack of balance. We have a cob who is so used to slipping going down hill (you can get grips but due to the nature of his hooves, he cant use them), that he has learned to set his weight back and hold out his legs.

I hope the centre counter sues her. It would put an end to any of that crap that is entirely unwelcome in horse riding. I am only wondering where the disclaimer that's usually signed is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭duffman3833

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/dentist-sues-over-hen-party-pony-trek-injuries-34649889.html

Im starting to believe that most people in this country are just greedy and looking for a quick way to get money. You can sue anything these days and get a good payout. After reading this it reminded me of a similar incident with me and a bike. It was faulty, i went over bars and slid on the ground on my chin. Had to get it glued as no room for stitches. I didn't think of suing. S**T happens. Be lucky your able to live like in this world with a roof over your head and food on a plate when there is people dying, homeless etc. I think this ability to sue anything is going over the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,214 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Im starting to believe that most people in this country are just greedy and looking for a quick way to get money. You can sue anything these days and get a good payout. After reading this it reminded me of a similar incident with me and a bike. It was faulty, i went over bars and slid on the ground on my chin. Had to get it glued as no room for stitches. I didn't think of suing. S**T happens. Be lucky your able to live like in this world with a roof over your head and food on a plate when there is people dying, homeless etc. I think this ability to sue anything is going over the top.

were you the owner of the bike?

were you the owner of the bike?

yes but not long purchased. It not so much the actual case that's in the link im annoyed with, its in general how easy it is to sue over minor injuries that many people live with on a daily basis or even worse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭eezipc

I'm actually more concerned about the pony than the dentist.
    The pony should counter-sue claiming the dentist may have not been truthful about her weight.

"10 stone 5lb woman, 5 foot 8.5 inches in height". I'm sure she is delighted that the whole country now knows her weight.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

33 year old on a hen party pony trek.

I should sue her for just reading that.

But i will not because it was my own decision to read that and know when it is my own responsibility when i make a bad decision.

yes but not long purchased. It not so much the actual case that's in the link im annoyed with, its in general how easy it is to sue over minor injuries that many people live with on a daily basis or even worse

im not sure i would consider any injury that kept me out of work for 8 weeks to be minor.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭daheff

how is the fact she is a dentist relevant?

Indo seems to be turning into a complete clickbait site.

non story.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Spot the difference
    She thought her animal looked "very aged and seemed to be on its last legs".
    biko thought the dentist looked "very aged and seemed to be on her last legs".

After reading this it reminded me of a similar incident with me and a bike. It was faulty, i went over bars and slid on the ground on my chin. Had to get it glued as no room for stitches. I didn't think of suing. S**T happens.

And...erm...it would be hard to sue yourself...

It's very simple. If her injuries were caused by the negligence of others, she should be able to sue. If they weren't, so be it, her claim will fail, and she will have a large legal bill.

It is fundamental in a democracy that she should have access to the legal system to test it either way. The law of negligence is the same law that sees children born with catastrophic injuries because of medical negligence able to claim money. How would you limit access to the law?

• Advertisement

sup_dude wrote: »
    I hope the centre counter sues her. It would put an end to any of that crap that is entirely unwelcome in horse riding.

What would they possibly counterclaim for?

Honestly, people just throw out any old nonsense on these threads. "I heard this legal word once, it sounds good, I'll stick it in here".

im not sure i would consider any injury that kept me out of work for 8 weeks to be minor.

to me i think it was an accident or she may have overworked the pony, there more details to the story were missing, but are we meant to sue over every accident, that's my question. She missed some time of work, maybe get something for that but her injury isn't a huge change of life, she is not disabled or lost a body part. It those incidents that deserve big payout. I don't know how much she got from this case but it must be decent amount to make it to the indo news

What would they possibly counterclaim for?

Honestly, people just throw out any old nonsense on these threads. "I heard this legal word once, it sounds good, I'll stick it in here".

Most likely defamation. She's quite publicly named the centre and accused them of starving and exhausting their ponies.

Most likely defamation.

Mother.

Of.

Jesus.

Just stop digging. That's complete nonsense. Issuing proceedings is not defamatory. Anything said in the context of a court case is not defamatory.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Joe prim

daheff wrote: »
    how is the fact she is a dentist relevant?

Indo seems to be turning into a complete clickbait site.

non story.

It means she told the tooth, the whole tooth, and nothing but the tooth:p:p:p

to me i think it was an accident or she may have overworked the pony, there more details to the story were missing, but are we meant to sue over every accident, that's my question. She missed some time of work, maybe get something for that but her injury isn't a huge change of life, she is not disabled or lost a body part. It those incidents that deserve big payout. I don't know how much she got from this case but it must be decent amount to make it to the indo news

but her claim is that it wasnt an accident,that it was negligence on the part of the riding school owners. it is up to the court to decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Mod: Threads merged

Mother.

Of.

Jesus.

Just stop digging. That's complete nonsense. Issuing proceedings is not defamatory. Anything said in the context of a court case is not defamatory.

But it was said to a national newspaper.

Also, what do you expect to happen? Do have any slightest idea of the implications of a successful case here?

Most likely defamation. She's quite publicly named the centre and accused them of starving and exhausting their ponies.

witness statements in court enjoy absolute privilege so they cannot counter-sue for defamation.

• Advertisement

But it was said to a national newspaper.

Also, what do you expect to happen? Do have any slightest idea of the implications of a successful case here?

the case was reported in a national paper, i dont see anywhere where it says that she was interviewed by the paper. reports of court proceedings also enjoy absolute privilege when it comes to defamation.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement