Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forgot how much fun GTA III is

Options
  • 22-04-2016 1:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭

After being almost bored to tears with the first 90 minutes of Heavy Rain I decided I hadn't played GTA III in a few years. Decided to stick it on for an hour or two but before I knew it, six hours had passed. This game is now 15 years old and apart from graphics and a few control issues (trying to jump when too close to something) it has aged incredibly well. The main missions are fun. The hidden packages are fun to find. The side missions are fun (and there aren't 8 million different ones like from San Andreas onwards). The driving is fun. The shooting takes a little adjusting but nothing major. Everything I've done so far in the game has just been fun to do. No Oysters hidden under water, no pigeons to shoot, just fun stuff to do of varying difficulty, each of which rewards you along the way. None of it I'd consider tedious either which is a big bonus.

If you have a method of still playing it, I advise you to check it out again. Especially if it's been a while. It's available on Steam and the PSN store so I'd assume you can also get it on Xbox.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭CloudCumulus

Yes!! GTA III is my favourite! I'm not much of a gamer and I like simple games that are fun. I recently downloaded it which is annoying cos I've exams in a week. Don't even need the radar I've played it that often!
    I don't really bother with the newer ones, give me GTA 1, London (not 2, never liked the gang thing) and 3 and stuff the rest!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,279 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Most certainly agree. I bought the trilogy when it was on sale a month or two ago and am enjoying 3 again as much as I did the first time I played it. Am about 25/30 odd missions in at this stage, and loving it. Its funny how much you remember about the map and secrets and shortcuts when you get back into it. More importantly ofc, I still remember the weapons and armour cheats :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Turquoise Hexagon Sun

I was half way through a play-through of it recently. It's hilarious. The pedestrians were way more funny during the 3D era of GTA.

"In the navy!"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,429 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

I've bought this game on 9 different platforms over the years and never once regretted spending a cent on it!

Absolute classic. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭Trebor176

Great game indeed, but the only issue for me has been the glitch with the Purple Nines side mission. They don't appear at all, so the mission is failed. I was only looking at a video of the game on You Tube the other day.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Trebor176 wrote: »
    Great game indeed, but the only issue for me has been the glitch with the Purple Nines side mission. They don't appear at all, so the mission is failed. I was only looking at a video of the game on You Tube the other day.

Only happens if you already have a save file with that mission complete. It sucks but at least there is a way to prevent it happening if you wanted to play again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭764dak

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    After being almost bored to tears with the first 90 minutes of Heavy Rain I decided I hadn't played GTA III in a few years. Decided to stick it on for an hour or two but before I knew it, six hours had passed. This game is now 15 years old and apart from graphics and a few control issues (trying to jump when too close to something) it has aged incredibly well. The main missions are fun. The hidden packages are fun to find. The side missions are fun (and there aren't 8 million different ones like from San Andreas onwards). The driving is fun. The shooting takes a little adjusting but nothing major. Everything I've done so far in the game has just been fun to do. No Oysters hidden under water, no pigeons to shoot, just fun stuff to do of varying difficulty, each of which rewards you along the way. None of it I'd consider tedious either which is a big bonus.

If you have a method of still playing it, I advise you to check it out again. Especially if it's been a while. It's available on Steam and the PSN store so I'd assume you can also get it on Xbox.

It's actually turning 15 years old next month.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,502 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I loved walking out of the save point on the 2nd island. For some reason, there was always a 4x4 overturned as I walked out, which would then go on fire and explode, killing some pedestrians and sending nearby survivors running around screaming. Complete nonsense, but it got me every time :)

My only gripe with it is that the road layout sucked. Something shared with VC. Also, once the game is complete, just driving around the city is a chore because gangs from every part of the city try to kill you.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

I loved walking out of the save point on the 2nd island. For some reason, there was always a 4x4 overturned as I walked out, which would then go on fire and explode, killing some pedestrians and sending nearby survivors running around screaming. Complete nonsense, but it got me every time :)

My only gripe with it is that the road layout sucked. Something shared with VC. Also, once the game is complete, just driving around the city is a chore because gangs from every part of the city try to kill you.

Gangs trying to kill you makes sense. Mafia hate you because you assassinated their boss. Triads because you waged war and blew up their "legitimate" business. Diablos because you murdered a whole heap of them for both the Mafia and King Courtney. Cartel are/were Catalina's gang. Yardies were aligned with Catalina and only used you to help themselves. South side Hoods hate you once you start murdering the purple branch for D-Ice. Only gang that don't hate you is the Yakuza because they don't know you killed one of their leaders.

I liked that you had to learn to navigate the map the further the game went on in order to avoid clashes. I don't remember any gang area you couldn't reach without being able to avoid the others on route.

Besides, post-game gives you a free tank whenever you want it. Even Rocket Launchers struggle to stop it. :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement