Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice needed on bike purchasing

Options
  • 21-04-2016 5:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

First of all not sure if I should post this in tri or cycling, but figured here night be a good start, mods please feel free to move...
    Hopefully this will be of use to others as well.
    I am hopefully going to be going about buying a bike in June for triathlons.
    Ideally i'd like to set a TT bike but am considering buying and modifying a road bike. I am open to both new and second hand, obviously be nice to get more bang on a good second hand purchase...if i know what i'm looking at :)
    My questions are as follows:
    Are there any stores with stocks of 2nd hand road/tt bikes?
    What sort of depreciation are you looking at on a bike- if i see a 2013 model for sale that cost 3000 new, should i be looking at 1k, 2k, 800...i have no idea how the value holds or what percentage to knock off per year----presuming in good condition.
    I keep hearing horror stories about buying carbon frames second hand, is there any way to be certain of frame condition, if i bought on condition of having a shop giving it a once over for example?
    Where would you put your money, frame or gear sets for example? slightly better frame I'm guessing?
    And is there anywhere in Ireland offering the 12month interest free credit options? i am taking up more work in the next month so would maybe be an option though one i would be hesitant to go for, but would be good to know about. A lot of the bike companies in the UK offer it but wont extend to Ireland.
    Any other pointers or questions would be welcome :D

Thanks!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

If you don't already have a road bike, don't buy a TT bike. It'll be good only for triathlon and you'll want to do a bit of road cycling later. OTOH, a road bike with tri-bars will get you pretty well set up for triathlon to start with and you can get a TT rig for your N+1* some time later.

*N+1 is the number of bikes you need where N is the number of bikes you currently own...

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Stitch09

The old n+1 rule has done me in before to be fair! :) I have a road bike at the moment, it's great for training and have used it for the half im last yr but it's not fit for it. I'll hold onto it as a training bike most likely but triathlons are what I'll be putting my money towards for the forseeable. But getting all the info together on what to look for etc is prooving to be bit of a headache.

Advertisement