Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

6 Seat company van BIK query

Options
  • 21-04-2016 5:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Apologies if this has been covered previously, I have searched and not found a detailed answer. I am moving jobs shortly, and have the offer of a company car or van. My preference is to have a van (Renault Trafic), with 6 seats. However, how will the BIK be calculated on a van like this? My understanding is that it would be calculated as per BIK on a company car, sliding scale with the top end at 30% of OMV, which is where I would lie due to low planned mileage. However, I have heard that the BIK is currently calculated at 5%, in line with commercial vehicles. Any feedback on this, finding it hard to get a straight answer?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Lockedout2

Why do you want a 6 seater?

Will there be private use?

It appears that this is treated as a car for BIK purposes. I actually can't believe that!

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/it/leaflets/benefit-in-kind/faqs/company-vehicles.html

• Registered Users Posts: 14 wackojacko1979

Couple of friends have them. Very handy. Take the whole family and friends etc, still room for bikes in the back. Just a great all rounder for me. Different people are paying different rates on the vans, and I am concerned that I will get hit with a sizable penalty after having the van for 2 years, if work or revenue finally make a clarification on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Lockedout2

Couple of friends have them. Very handy. Take the whole family and friends etc, still room for bikes in the back. Just a great all rounder for me. Different people are paying different rates on the vans, and I am concerned that I will get hit with a sizable penalty after having the van for 2 years, if work or revenue finally make a clarification on it!

Well when you put it that way then by definition it's a car! No real argument.

Advertisement