Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

200 New Jobs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,059 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

good news but getting a job in Waterford is hard (if you dont have a bit of pull)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

PTH2009 wrote: »
    good news but getting a job in Waterford is hard (if you dont have a bit of pull)

Ive seen you say this many times after a jobs announcement and its simply not true,do you really think that 200 people are going to get these jobs because they "know" someone?,theres plenty of jobs in Waterford and you seem to use this excuse for you not getting one.

Ive seen you say this many times after a jobs announcement and its simply not true,do you really think that 200 people are going to get these jobs because they "know" someone?,theres plenty of jobs in Waterford and you seem to use this excuse for you not getting one.

plenty of jobs but zero opportunties for unskilled workers. Id love a sales job in somewhere like Harvey Norman etc but dont have experience (i knw for a fact i knw more about tvs/pcs than the guys working out there). Ill put my hand up and say im jelous and envy people who get full time work with little experience but when i apply for jobs when i see the word 'experience' i run because i knw im only wasting my time applying. Cant move somewhere bigger and cant attend full time college atm due to personal issues. Even a jobsbridge job is hard to get in Waterford.

getting refusal letters or hearing nothing back can all time can damage a persons confidence and sometimes can even lead to other things Alcohol, Drugs etc.

Im 26 now and completed primary and secondary school with Dyslexia (only finding out when i attended WIT a few years ago after doing a test) so if they had found out when i was in secondary my working life could of been so much different (but no when i found it hard to do maths and stuff i was insulted and called lazy by the teachers).

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Digital Society

PTH2009 wrote: »
    plenty of jobs but zero opportunties for unskilled workers. Id love a sales job in somewhere like Harvey Norman etc but dont have experience (i knw for a fact i knw more about tvs/pcs than the guys working out there). Ill put my hand up and say im jelous and envy people who get full time work with little experience but when i apply for jobs when i see the word 'experience' i run because i knw im only wasting my time applying. Cant move somewhere bigger and cant attend full time college atm due to personal issues. Even a jobsbridge job is hard to get in Waterford.

getting refusal letters or hearing nothing back can all time can damage a persons confidence and sometimes can even lead to other things Alcohol, Drugs etc.

Im 26 now and completed primary and secondary school with Dyslexia (only finding out when i attended WIT a few years ago after doing a test) so if they had found out when i was in secondary my working life could of been so much different (but no when i found it hard to do maths and stuff i was insulted and called lazy by the teachers).

Well your definitely on the right path anyway.

Im sure one the Boards.ie regulars will be along any minute now to offer you a job. Plenty of demand for someone who uses their Dyslexia as an excuse for everything and refuse to accept that the problem is in fact laziness.

Oh by the way i also have Dyslexia like millions of others including Richard Branson, Albert Einstein and many other of the worldselite. You ****ing know as much as i do that it doesn't hold you back anywhere near as much as you let on. Thats exactly why i have 0 pity for you.

Well your definitely on the right path anyway.

Im sure one the Boards.ie regulars will be along any minute now to offer you a job. Plenty of demand for someone who uses their Dyslexia as an excuse for everything and refuse to accept that the problem is in fact laziness.

Oh by the way i also have Dyslexia like millions of others including Richard Branson, Albert Einstein and many other of the worldselite. You ****ing know as much as i do that it doesn't hold you back anywhere near as much as you let on. Thats exactly why i have 0 pity for you.

Lazy ???

Waking the town handing out CVS, appyljng online for jobs, doing years of college (passing all my exams), going to jobs fares etc.

A huge personal incident happened to me a couple years ago that affected me hugely and I'm still coming to terms with it now. It effected my college life, work life etc

I'd fall into the category of being better at the job than the interview.

I'm sorry if I offended anyone with my 'bit of pull' comment .

Rant over

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,014 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

one of the most common misinterpretations of dyslexia is indeed 'laziness'. it can affect people in many different ways. i suspect most of these people are ending up in the lower tiers of our social structures, i.e. in our jails, long term unemployed, low paid jobs etc etc. indeed some do in fact become very successful, exceptions to the rule i guess. sadly this disability can have major negative effects on people, many developing mental health issues and subsequent addictions problems. with roughly 10% of the population being dyslexic, i suspect many are undiagnosed. thankfully we are getting better at understanding these complex learning disabilities but we have a long way to go to educate society about them so that we can be more inclusive of such problems. our educational system still has a long way to go to be more inclusive of such problems but is getting better. the workplace can be a complex one as people who are dyslexic generally require more time to conduct some tasks. in our neoliberalist and neoclassically driven economic systems, that becomes a problem. i think its incredibly ignorant to label these people as lazy. on a side note, i know a chap thats been researching einstein's work for the last couple of years. id say hes having a time of it, trying to interpret his writing!

This might just blow your mind but what if you told you its possible to be Dyslexic AND lazy?

You know what i had to do? Put in about twice the amount of work as anyone else i knew during school and college. hours and hours and hours of work.

The problem is some people choose to brand themselves. A self fulfilling prophecy. Sure i have Dyslexia why even try? Dont ever brand a child and tell them they are something. As soon as they fail like the rest of us do on a daily basis they will say... Ah sure thats because im Dyslexic... Thats because of my thyroid... thats because im black....thats because im a girl... thats because blah blah blah

Who here hasnt failed? Who here hasnt struggled to get your ass up out of bed? Thats life.

This touched a nerve because i was the same age when i went back to college and trust me when i say ive a lot **** i could use as an excuse to give up and blame it on. Death happens, life happens, Depression happens, love happens, **** happens to all of us. Thats called life.

This might just blow your mind but what if you told you its possible to be Dyslexic AND lazy?

You know what i had to do? Put in about twice the amount of work as anyone else i knew during school and college. hours and hours and hours of work.

The problem is some people choose to brand themselves. A self fulfilling prophecy. Sure i have Dyslexia why even try? Dont ever brand a child and tell them they are something. As soon as they fail like the rest of us do on a daily basis they will say... Ah sure thats because im Dyslexic... Thats because of my thyroid... thats because im black....thats because im a girl... thats because blah blah blah

Who here hasnt failed? Who here hasnt struggled to get your ass up out of bed? Thats life.

This touched a nerve because i was the same age when i went back to college and trust me when i say ive a lot **** i could use as an excuse to give up and blame it on. Death happens, life happens, Depression happens, love happens, **** happens to all of us. Thats called life.

im sure theres plenty of peer reviewed work out there that might help you to understand these issues. might help you in life. best of luck with your career

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

Best of luck with the job hunt.

In fairness unskilled jobs in this country will be few and far between in the coming years.

Automation, especially in pharma and Manufacturing is taking over.

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    im sure theres plenty of peer reviewed work out there that might help you to understand these issues. might help you in life. best of luck with your career

No need. Ive been living with them all my life.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

200 new jobs announced and this descends into a cat fight over dyslexia.

Btw I have a friend with dyslexia and he is now probably one of the most successful guys out of my degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Keep plugging away PTH, its hard to when getting folders full of PFOs,a lot of us did that,keep the focus on goal and in the mean time, do any job you can get, still very young.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

Well we are moving into a period of deindustrialisation, So we can expect less manual labour/factory type jobs and more service industry/pharmaceutical type jobs. Surely people will adapt and change and acquire new skills etc.

Well we are moving into a period of deindustrialisation, So we can expect less manual labour/factory type jobs and more service industry/pharmaceutical type jobs. Surely people will adapt and change and acquire new skills etc.

easier said than done im afraid. never worked in either service industry or pharmaceutical industries but service industry sounds very stressful particularly at the lower waged levels

O Riain wrote: »
    200 new jobs announced and this descends into a cat fight over dyslexia.

Btw I have a friend with dyslexia and he is now probably one of the most successful guys out of my degree.

As ive said plenty of times on this forum.

Any announcement of good news and someone comes in and tells us why its not good news. Its really sad. 200 top jobs on the way and still Waterfords finest come in with their negativity.

Waterford is now getting a higher rate of job announcements than just about anywhere else in the country relative to size. Imagine saying that 2 or 3 years ago.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 214 ✭✭edbrez

Any announcement of good news and someone comes in and tells us why its not good news. Its really sad. 200 top jobs on the way and still Waterfords finest come in with their negativity.
    Gotta love the town, no wonder it has the oldest people in Ireland to marry!

edbrez wrote: »
    Gotta love the town, no wonder it has the oldest people in Ireland to marry!

Thats a brilliant achievement.

Who was he? Some auld stubborn grouch.

How long where they going out before they got married?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 214 ✭✭edbrez

edbrez wrote: »

Ah its average. I thought you meant like a couple of 110 year olds got married.

Advertisement