Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transit or Ducato

Options
  • 21-04-2016 12:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi, Apologies if this has been asked somewhere else. Feel free to direct me somewhere else.

We're still on the lookout for a u-lounge or 7 berth camper. Will spend maximum 23k for the right one. I've seen a few nice transit but my husband is dead set against them as he thinks they are trouble. This narrows down our search!

I've tried to research this to see if I can find a reason to avoid transits but can't. Can anyone let me know if his opinion is justified so I can make peace with ignoring all transits that come up for sale!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭ianobrien

To be honest, most of motorhomes are built on Ducatos so you've not eliminated too many models. The Ducato is better IMO as its more reliable (in 2.3, 2.8 or 3.0 form), they have a lower floor (easier access) and handling is a lot better (a lot less "bouncy" ride). The Transit is almost an alcoholic by comparison to the Ducato.

The other side of the arguments is to get a van that has the best layout, and if you're worried about reliability, get ADAC breakdown cover.

Edit, the Ducato is wider also. That may be an advantage (more space inside) or a disadvantage (driving around Slea Head and down to Brandon Creek)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

M_Bear wrote: »
    Hi, Apologies if this has been asked somewhere else. Feel free to direct me somewhere else.

We're still on the lookout for a u-lounge or 7 berth camper. Will spend maximum 23k for the right one. I've seen a few nice transit but my husband is dead set against them as he thinks they are trouble. This narrows down our search!

I've tried to research this to see if I can find a reason to avoid transits but can't. Can anyone let me know if his opinion is justified so I can make peace with ignoring all transits that come up for sale!

Thanks

The only extra problems transit has over ducato/boxer/relay really is rust. The corrosion protection and paint isn't great. But the kind of camper you're talking about will usually be built on a chassis cab so you've only got to worry about the usual front sills and inner wings.

There were a couple of issues with pressure control valve and suction valve fixed by a software update, door handles and locks (less likely in a camper van where you're not in and out 100 times a day)

The other problems are common to most diesels, EGR valve, throttle valve, dual mass flywheel, injection problems caused by fuel contamination.

I think the ducato is better all round but a possible advantage of the transit is that every mechanic in Ireland will be familiar with it, parts are very plentiful. Have a look at autotrader uk .. transits for sale over 5000, ducato/boxer/realys for just over 1000.

Remember comparing reviews that the average ducato camper does 5000km per year most of the issues are cause by standing around rusting for 10 months of the year, the average transit on the other hand does 50000-80000km per year of hard service. People only come online to complain.

The ducato 2.2 is the basically the same as transit engine by the way. With the same egr issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 M_Bear

Thanks to you both for the insight. Good to know a bit more about what we're looking at / for.

I think you're right, crabbypaddy, that people only come online to complain so you really do read more bad experiences than good.

I think really we shouldn't rule anything out fully just because it's a certain brand. Who knows what you're buying when you're buying private anyway! A well kept transit is better than a neglected Ducato.

Thanks Again crabby and Ian.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 M_Bear

ianobrien wrote: »

Edit, the Ducato is wider also. That may be an advantage (more space inside) or a disadvantage (driving around Slea Head and down to Brandon Creek)

Didn't know that either about the Ducato... Could definitely do with any extra space! But yes, those narrow irish roads can be hairy at the best of times. Ill be leaving the driving to my husband anyway - my spatial awareness leaves a lot to be desired even in a car!

M_Bear wrote: »
    Didn't know that either about the Ducato... Could definitely do with any extra space! But yes, those narrow irish roads can be hairy at the best of times. Ill be leaving the driving to my husband anyway - my spatial awareness leaves a lot to be desired even in a car!

The width is only relevant really for smaller van based campers like the adria twins or van conversions, the big campers you're looking at the width is wider and set by the manufacturer. Fiat just supply the chassis and cab or cabless chassis or chassisless cab. The rest is made by the builder.

ampia_gamma.jpg

ducato-back-to-back.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭ianobrien

I'm open to correction on this but I recall reading somewhere that the max width of a vehicle (excluding mirrors) is dictated by the headlights (ie there is a maximum the body can extend beyond the headlight). That means that the Transit based coachbuilts would have a smaller max width compared to the Ducato max width.

I think it comes from EU type approval

ianobrien wrote: »
    I'm open to correction on this but I recall reading somewhere that the max width of a vehicle (excluding mirrors) is dictated by the headlights (ie there is a maximum the body can extend beyond the headlight). That means that the Transit based coachbuilts would have a smaller max width compared to the Ducato max width.

I think it comes from EU type approval

It make no difference because the transit headlamps are wide enough that the limiting width is the max vehicle width which is 2.55m for M1 vehicles.

Advertisement