Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord Usage of Vacated Rooms in House Share

Options
  • 21-04-2016 5:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 24

I let out a 4 bedroom house but recently 3 of the tenants have moved out and only one tenant remains because his Termination Notice doesn't apply until July. It is a standard Part 4 tenancy. The garden area of the house is not part of the rented area and the tenants have never had access to it. Two of the ground floor bedrooms are now vacant and there is access to them via doors from the garden. I informed the remaining tenant that I want usage and access to these bedrooms and that I planned to lock the internal bedroom doors from both sides so that both his area and the bedrooms would be secure. He has objected to this request on the grounds that the electric sockets in the rooms are part of the house and that in the event of a fire or other emergency he might need access to the rooms. Currently, some appliances (Wash Machine / Dryer) are connected to sockets in these rooms although the actual appliances are located in an adjacent utility room. Any legal eagles out there have an opinion as to the legal status of the rooms assuming I connect the appliances elsewhere?

Comments

He rents his room and has no exclusive access to other areas. Inform him of this fact and that he has no say over what is done with any other room in the house bar his own and then just do what you are planning whether he likes it or not.

To be honest I wouldn't even be locking the rooms, you should start using the full house yourself (kitchen, living room, spare rooms etc) except for his bedroom as this is the only room he has exclusive use of.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

As per your other thread, pnormal44, you should seek proper legal advice.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement