Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roscrea Thread

Options
  • 21-04-2016 1:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hi
    I was wondering what Roscrea is like to live in and raise children in, House prices are fairly cheap in regards to my Budget and the town seems to have many amenities such as schools,supermarkets etc, but I keep hearing that the town is plagued with social problems like drugs and traveller feuds.

Should I avoid like the plague or is it just the usual kids with nothing to do that dont really interfere with every day life?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

It's a perfectly safe place to raise a family. It's just a country town

There is a scummy side yes but the likes of the 'Roscrea Stands Up' Movement totally exaggerate the issue.

There's not a huge knacker problem either, the town doesn't really have serious trouble with them outside of the usual petty offences from a select few.

It's all very minor stuff.

All in all it's a good town, the majority of folk are very sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭jem

i have lived all my life in Roscrea and it is a great town to live in and have kids grow up in.
    Loads to do, GAA, Soccer, badminton, athletics, scouts etc etc etc .
    New leisure center built a few years ago which includes water slide etc.
    Shopping has supervalue, dunnes, tesco, aldi, lidl so spoilt for choice.
    No major hassles and agree 100% last poster re Roscrea Stands Up roscrea no worse than any other midland town and better than most with regard to drugs etc.
    There was local traveler woman buried on Friday last and zero problems.
    would strongly recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭CorkMan_

I grew up in Roscrea (just outside the town) and never had any issues with the place. The new leisure centre is excellent and plenty of shops to choose from, Dunnes, Tesco, Supervalu, Lidl and Aldi. The motor factors on Rosemary St. is probably one of the best around too!

As with any place it does have some drug/drunk problems and unemployment would be on the high side in the town.

Advertisement