Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mazda MX5

Options
  • 20-04-2016 4:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭

I dunno why but I've a little soft spot for these. Is it worth looking at an old one for a project? Is it possible for a complete beginner to read up and fix one of these?

I've only had the full licence just over 2 years - named experiance on the wife's policy will I be crucified on insurance?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Best bet would be an early 90's one and get herself to insure it on a classic policy with the likes of Autoline. Then get you down as a named driver. If you're both over 30 this shouldn't be difficult, if between 25/30 it will limit the Insurers willing to take you on.
    Last year I had a '76 mini insured (Autoline) for €165 and added an MX5 for €18, so it is doable. TBH I think it was because the Mini was down 1st, and the Mazda added on that worked in my favour.
    A lot of guys I meet seem to be paying around the €260/€280 mark to insure one on a classic policy (with a main car insured separately).

Other than that do a google search for the main rust areas,etc. A pre '94 model will have an easier NCT emissions test. And a bonus is they are a non-interference engine, so if a timing belt snaps it's not a major concern.
    Also avoid the Automatics. They're never any cheaper than the manuals but they are fairly slow and a bit thirstier.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Yes who ever ordered an auto mx5. Superb fun, mazda reliability. Sills can need work as a possible rust area. Drive it around town and down country lanes, but as you'd expect it is not a motorway car so it is a bit of work on long trips.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Thanks guys!

@OSI, sorry should have mentioned that 36.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭landmarkjohn

Is it worth looking at an old one for a project? Is it possible for a complete beginner to read up and fix one of these?

There is a wealth of info on repairs and mods for these enthusiast cars on the web, youtube. Lots of forums, Irish one is mx5ireland.com

Rust is the biggest killer of older cars, especially UK imports. Jap imports better but insurers can be a bit funny about these but we insure our one every year €400 plus last year for a 1998 car.

A Mark 2 or 2.5 with tatty body work but good underpinnings might suit you best. If you do get a Jap import fit an alarm as they have no immobiliser or alarm from factory so a target for hot wiring thieving XXXXXXX

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

If you are getting one make sure you can secure it from theft. I learnt the hard way as mine, aka my wedding car, was stolen within 7 days. It's not in bad shape but as I had enough bills and things to deal with I had to let it go. But I know where it is and it could he a project if you want.

• Advertisement

Jap imports better but insurers can be a bit funny about these but we insure our one every year €400 plus last year for a 1998 car.

.....and then today, from 123.ie "sorry we are unable to offer a renewal quotation".

So good advice above to check out insurance first or you may end up spending a lot of time and effort and not be able to drive the thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Notch000

Jap imports better but insurers can be a bit funny about these but we insure our one every year €400 plus last year for a 1998 car.

.....and then today, from 123.ie "sorry we are unable to offer a renewal quotation".

So good advice above to check out insurance first or you may end up spending a lot of time and effort and not be able to drive the thing!
    Add your reply here. this is worring me :( with my renewal coming up soon

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Golfgorfield

Notch000 wrote: »
    Add your reply here. this is worring me :( with my renewal coming up soon

Ring auotline in Coleraine, they will take it as a classic car depending on age, they accept 15yr old i think. I pay €320 for a jap 98 mx5 with limited mileage of 4k.

i rang autoline and spect 15 mins gewttign a quote and they then never rang back !! I never bothered getting back to them afterwards, anyways im using it as my main car and do about 12K per year, im also planning a euro trip later in the year and that alonw will be 4-6k milage,
    I'd prefer to run it as a main car as i already have bike policy too and the can't really afford an additonal, motor/tax/insurance etc

Ok, got that slightly wrong... when OH tried to get a quote with 123.ie BEFORE the typical highly inflated renewal she got "unable to quote" from website. Renewal has in fact just come through from 123.ie at €550 compared to €360 last year.

I did ring Autoline for classic car quote and the gotcha is the policyholder and any named driver must EACH have their own day to day car with an individual insurance policy before they can take out "classic" insurance. Quote for me only €490 max 5000 miles PA.

• Advertisement

thats not so bad so, i paid about 400 last yr so would be happy wiht 5-600 the way things are going south in the industry

• Registered Users Posts: 4 MarkeyMan

Just butting in here,
    The mx5 is worth every penny of insurance cost. I guarantee it'll make you smile every time you drive it! In my opinion, and many others, one of the best cars ever made.

Go for it now before they get too expensive! They are shooting up in price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭EazyD

I daily drive my mk2.5 for work, so would be doing minimum 150-200 miles a week. Not the most comfortable but perfectly doable and so so worth it. However I've now been getting an itch for more ponies so am looking at RX8's but really don't want to part with my 5, best/most fun and reliable car I've ever owned. Not many cars you can throw into a bend with your foot welded to the floor and know that it will come out the other side with no fuss or surprises.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Ok, got that slightly wrong... when OH tried to get a quote with 123.ie BEFORE the typical highly inflated renewal she got "unable to quote" from website. Renewal has in fact just come through from 123.ie at €550 compared to €360 last year.

I did ring Autoline for classic car quote and the gotcha is the policyholder and any named driver must EACH have their own day to day car with an individual insurance policy before they can take out "classic" insurance. Quote for me only €490 max 5000 miles PA.

Ah, that is bullcrap! I wouldn't bother my arse with them. I got that BS from a broker before, went to Carole Nash "do you have the use of another car?" "yes, I have a company van supplied by my employers" "grand so, we're sending out your documents".
    Now that is a while ago, but there isn't even the mention of having to have the use of another vehicle in there. Irish Insurance BS.

EazyD wrote: »
    I daily drive my mk2.5 for work, so would be doing minimum 150-200 miles a week. Not the most comfortable but perfectly doable

I wore ear plugs when I was commuting 130 mile daily in our one for a couple of weeks in the winter. Great machine though, they do what they were built for exceptionally well.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Full Marx

Lads my partner wants one of these, shes 25 and has less than a years full license. It would be a weekend car so classical car insurance woukd be ideal, will she be able to get it at such a young age and not having a license for that long?

Has a car already on normal insurance which she would keep.

Advertisement