Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to expect from the architect

Options
  • 20-04-2016 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭

Have just employed an architect and they will be responsible for putting a renovation through planning and building control. What should I expect to get from the Architect at the end of each stage? Don't have a background in building so not sure if I'm asking the right questions and getting all of the information needed for taking on a contractor.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Initial draft proposal.
    Agree draft.
    Final planning drawings as lodged.

To get through building control, you then need construction drawings.

What are you building?

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭joebloggs123

Building a small extension to an existing two story house.
    So far to go through planning, we've got a sketch pdf that outlines the amendments but doesn't have dimensions etc.
    Not sure if I can get quotes from builders etc without getting that information. Don't know what else they would need or the questions to be asking to ensure I get everything.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Building a small extension to an existing two story house.
    So far to go through planning, we've got a sketch pdf that outlines the amendments but doesn't have dimensions etc.
    Not sure if I can get quotes from builders etc without getting that information. Don't know what else they would need or the questions to be asking to ensure I get everything.

Has it been lodged for planning yet?
    The architect is probably holding off on the construction drawings until planning is granted as the council may request changes to the layout, positioning of Windows etc so no point doing the work just yet.

Builders pricing will come at tender stage when your planning is granted and any alterations if any are made.

Advertisement