Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Anyone have recent experience with replacement logbook?

Options
  • 19-04-2016 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Bought a car there a while ago and the seller couldn't find the log book. I am reading conflicting things here about how to go about getting a new one.

Does anyone have any recent experience of doing it? I know the guys name and address etc.. would it be easiest to just ask him to apply for a new one and then send it off in my name, or is there a quicker way of getting it? I don't really want to give him the hassle if I can avoid it!

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭Silvera

The easiest way is - IF it is registered in his name - is to get him to sign a 'Replacement Documents' form, you send it off to the local motor tax office - including payment of €12 - and when he gets the replacement in the post you can then get it into your name by signing it, completing the RF2 form with the last owner, and sending it off to the tax office.

You will then get a new log book in your name (Btw, I presume it's a classic and we are talking about the old style log book here?)

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭mattroche

I recently bought a car from a man who was not the registered owner. I went to my local motor tax office and explained the situation to them. They gave me 3 forms, ( 1 ) to be signed & stamped by a garage to verify the chassis No., then had to be signed & stamped by a Peace Commissioner. ( 2 ) To be signed & stamped by a Garda. ( 3 ) Change of ownership form. When I returned to the motor tax office, they issued me with a new Brown Log book. However, it did NOT give the names of the previous owners, so I don't have the history of the car, which is something I would like to have.

Advertisement