Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potterton Suprima Parts

Options
  • 19-04-2016 5:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Folks,

I ahev a Potterton Suprima 50 that I need some parts for. Anyone recently replaced a Suprima thatw as in working order?

Thanks
    DM

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Are you working on the boiler yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 dmboards

Hi K.Flyer,

No will be getting gas engineer to work on it. Do you know of someone with parts available?

I don't have, no. Are the parts not available from the local suppliers?

I dont have engineer yet. What happened was I was getting boiler serviced but because the case has rusted through on one side I got a hazard notice. Boiler in perfect working order - serviced every year so only problem is case. I was wondeirng if I got a new case could it be replaced ... but if I cant find the part then its not an option. Replacing with new boiler is quoted at over €2K. Its a long shot I know ....

What caused the corrosion in the first place?

• Advertisement

There was a leak on one of the water pipes some years ago - subsequently fixed but the damage was done and evntually rusted through. I dont know if its even practical to replace the casing to be honest but if it saves the price of a new boiler then its worth it. The motivation is that the entire house needs to be renovated and the plan is to do so in a couple of years - but dont want big expense on changing boiler now.

There is a fair amount of labour involved in replacing the main casing / chasis of that, or any other boiler.
    For a start it means draining down the system, the boiler is then taken down off the wall, pulled apart and rebuilt transferring all of your old components back into the replacement casing, where you will need to replace seals and gaskets and most probably the flue.
    For a boiler that is at least 10 years old I really cannot see it being worth that effort nor the cost of doing it.
    Then, even if you did get someone to take it on, and after spending all that money, you would still have a boiler that's at least 10 years old.
    Pretty soon after you will be needing a pcb or a fan.
    In my opinion do yourself a favour and bite the bullet and have a new boiler installed with a decent warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

WE have a Suprima in our house. Had a guy around as it stopped working. Said it was the fan.

Is the fan replaceable. He talked about getting the whole thing replaced if he couldnt get the part.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

WE have a Suprima in our house. Had a guy around as it stopped working. Said it was the fan.

Is the fan replaceable. He talked about getting the whole thing replaced if he couldnt get the part.
    Plenty of them on Ebay UK.

Hi Johnny, I replaced the entire boiler in but its quite some time and gas engineer took it away. I had googled parts and found some in UK but wasn't minded to sourced them. I dont know if the fan can be replaced but maybe K.Flyer can help
    DM

• Advertisement

There are a few variants of the Suprima, but as far as I know all fans are still available from suppliers.

Advertisement