Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kick drum pedal replacement

Options
  • 19-04-2016 3:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭

I got a cheap beginner's kit (Millenium) of a neighbour and I notice there is a lot of lateral play in the kick pedal. This seems to be translating into a lot of unintentional ghost notes. Would I be better of replacing with a second hand Pearl pedal? I don't want to spend to much and I've spotted one in a pawn shop for €30. Would it make a difference or is my technique just crap :D.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Toobz

mordeith wrote: »
    I got a cheap beginner's kit (Millenium) of a neighbour and I notice there is a lot of lateral play in the kick pedal. This seems to be translating into a lot of unintentional ghost notes. Would I be better of replacing with a second hand Pearl pedal? I don't want to spend to much and I've spotted one in a pawn shop for €30. Would it make a difference or is my technique just crap :D.

Depends on the model. There's pearl models which are just as bad as the stock milenium pedal. Find out the model and I'll have a look have gone through a fair few pedals myself

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Thanks for that. Probably be tomorrow before I get to the shop.
    Could I also pick your brain regarding hi-hat setup. There are two rubber washers and a metal screw washer. I read that metal should never be touching the hats so do the rubber washers go on the inside or outside (in the case of the upper, between the hat and the clutch?)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Toobz

mordeith wrote: »
    Thanks for that. Probably be tomorrow before I get to the shop.
    Could I also pick your brain regarding hi-hat setup. There are two rubber washers and a metal screw washer. I read that metal should never be touching the hats so do the rubber washers go on the inside or outside (in the case of the upper, between the hat and the clutch?)

No problem glad to help! :) if you have rubber washers and there is 2 of them you should use them on the top hat. Put one on the inside and one on the outside of the top hat to protect it from any contact with the metal of the clutch.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Toobz wrote: »
    No problem glad to help! :) if you have rubber washers and there is 2 of them you should use them on the top hat. Put one on the inside and one on the outside of the top hat to protect it from any contact with the metal of the clutch.

Great stuff. I'm getting a second hand set of hats tomorrow as the previous owner was rather vigorous with the originals. They look more like crumpled tinfoil!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,906 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

There's a few on adverts, 50 blips region. I've bought tons over the years. Even managed to run over a new expensive pedal with the car!

Pedals are over complicated these days. Bonham used a basic speed king. His career turned out pretty well.

• Advertisement
Advertisement