Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This made me sad today

Options
  • 19-04-2016 10:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭

This has gotten under my skin today so feel like a bit of a rant, or atleast someones opinion to realise if I should be annoyed about it or not.

I work for a print company, a designer sent me menu artwork last week to print for his customer, a Dublin city centre pub/restaurant. I get a call this morning asking if it had gone to print yet as his customer would like to change a price. I thought it could be 50 cent or there must be a typo or something. However I was surprised (fuming to be honest) when I saw there was a €5 increase in their steaks. I mentioned it to the designer in passing to double check it was right. He told me that his customer had been out for a meal over the weekend and had a similar steak to theirs, but it cost €5 more than theirs, so logically, they would get away with increasing their steak by €5, or probably a 25-30% increase. Rip-Off Republic is slowly creeping back.

This made me sad today. It reminded me of the start of the "boom" when I noticed I would get less change back after buying a couple of pints, a sandwich, or a lunch, yes we would have a quick moan about it, but then just moved on. To be straight, it was businesses taking advantage of everyone's supposed increase in wages. Yes, in the city centre and airports etc, businesses can take advantage of tourists and passing trade, its nothing new. But, this extortionate increase in pricing will only spread when other businesses realises they can get away with it. So the people that like to get out for a bite to eat on the odd occasion and may go slightly over their monthly budget doing so, will now be asked to dig deeper.

Rip-off Republic is slowly creeping back. The one thing I can't stand is getting ripped-off. Eventually we will all be looking for our wage increase and Ireland becomes un-competitive again. Have we learned nothing?

And before you ask, yes I do like steak :):)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

End of the day, if businesses can up their prices and people still pay the prices, I don't see a problem with it.

If I was selling something for X, but thought people would pay Y (higher), what do you think I'd do?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭stoplooklisten

Have you tried installing google ultron?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

Name and shame!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Skip to the end - did you change the menus or not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

traprunner wrote: »
    Name and shame!

Mod- I know Paddy has more sense than to do this but I have to say it anyway. Under no circumstances name them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

ken wrote: »
    Mod- I know Paddy has more sense than to do this but I have to say it anyway. Under no circumstances name them.

I wasn't serious and I hope Paddy would have known that in AH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

there is an invisible line that pubs and clubs also keep crossing when they up their drinks prices, citing the excuse that their competitors are charging a certain price, and people are willing to pay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

Of course RIP OF Ireland is back , and there will be another boom , and people will think they are better of - despite having less money in their pocket after paying extortionist mortgages and cost of living.

And then there will be another crash .. Ireland will be the only country where this will happen AGAIN.

Even Greece will cop on enough for it not to happen again.

Not Oireland tho !!!

Celtic Tiger BOOM!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Could have been underpriced to start with?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

We had date night last night, like we do every Monday. Usually restaurants are quiet enough on a Monday evening and everyone loves the early bird.
    We tried a different restaurant last night, I've heard it's fantastic value. Checked the menu online before we booked. Looked great. 4 course early bird for 35 euro. All night Monday - Thursday, Friday and sat til 7.

Got there and apparently they're not doing early bird. That's grand. The place was packed. So many tables full. For two of us, no wine, 2 starters 2 mains and 2 desserts, 2 7ups and 1 espresso, came to just shy of 90 euro.

Now the service was outstanding, the food was amazing, lmii had half a cow on his plate in the form of a t bone steak, I've never seen the likes of it. But Jesus! I'm just glad it was his turn to pay and not mine

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Your story moved me. I was on the pooper, so that helped. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭esforum

you must live in an amazingly happy world if that made you sad,. I want to live with you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Kev_2012

I was living in Canada for the last few years and Limerick before that, and I always seen these Rip off Ireland threads, didn't get it at all. (Limerick is cheap for nearly everything! Canada seemed to be really expensive).

I moved to Dublin recently and by christ I understand what ye mean now. Rent is crazy, pubs, restaurants, public transit, it's insane! For my rent in Dublin I would pay off a mortgage on a decent 3 bed semi in Limerick in 15 years. It's absolute madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

What steak was it and how much was it to start with? I think people are a bit more clued up on prices now anyway. I don't just wander into any restaurant I do my research. If I feel its overpriced I move on. Obviously they will catch some suckers

• Registered Users Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭mathie

Supply. Demand.

If people are willing to pay it then fair play to them.

I know a local café that has incredibly reasonable prices and they're struggling to get people through the door.
    Yet the large chain store café / restaurant down the road charges almost double for a coffee and a cake and has queues of people on a Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Slunk wrote: »
    What steak was it and how much was it to start with? I think people are a bit more clued up on prices now anyway. I don't just wander into any restaurant I do my research. If I feel its overpriced I move on. Obviously they will catch some suckers

Yeah they will catch the suckers alright. The main point being the crazy increases spreading like wild fire to other businesses, just because they can. Watch this space me thinks...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

The prices are not your decision. You are doing a job.

"Theirs not to make reply,
    Theirs not to reason why,
    Theirs but to do and die:"

mathie wrote: »
    Supply. Demand.

If people are willing to pay it then fair play to them

Fair play to who?

diomed wrote: »
    The prices are not your decision. You are doing a job.

"Theirs not to make reply,
    Theirs not to reason why,
    Theirs but to do and die:"

I didn't decide any prices

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Rabo Karabekian

lmii had half a cow on his plate in the form of a t bone steak

What does lmii mean?

• Advertisement

I didn't decide any prices
    I said the prices are not your decision.
    You are doing a printing job, and should not have an opinion.

I said the prices are not your decision.
    You are doing a printing job, and should not have an opinion.

of course I have an opinion. I never said I didn't go through with the job.

of course I have an opinion. I never said I didn't go through with the job.
    Your opinion is not required.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Maybe paddy can open another thread saying he saw a price for a,steak in xxx etc...;)

Not advocating this in the slightest!

Your opinion is not required.

are you still trolling?

You're getting things mixed up here. I agree with you, I don't have an opinion on the prices of the job I'm printing. I sure am allowed to have an opinion on how greedy they are though, through any medium I like.

When you walk into your local restaurant and see they hiked the price by 30%, then you will have an opinion

Maybe paddy can open another thread saying he saw a price for a,steak in xxx etc...;)

Not advocating this in the slightest!

do you not know I'm already trawling Bargain Alerts for this reason already??? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭mathie

Fair play to who?

The people who are charging.

We live in an information age where it's incredibly easy to find out if we're being ripped off.
    If you pay over-inflated prices then you've only yourself to blame.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭moleyv

Should have put up the price of printing each menu by a fiver, you know, cause the restaurant will be able to afford it with all the extra money going around.

are you still trolling?
    Just to make things very clear which of the following would apply.

[ ] I work for a printing company
    [ ] my boss knows I am abusing his client on social media
    [ ] my boss agrees with my actions on boards.ie
    [ ] the client knows of my actions on boards.ie and is happy with it

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Just to make things very clear which of the following would apply.

[ ] I work for a printing company
    [ ] my boss knows I am abusing his client on social media
    [ ] my boss agrees with my actions on boards.ie
    [ ] the client knows of my actions on boards.ie and is happy with it

diomed - this is dragging the thread away from the topic. Please return to the topic which is the attitude of price changing on a whim and the return of the boom.

Advertisement