Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

urban renewal roadworks

Options
  • 19-04-2016 8:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭

This one definitely deserves its own new thread as the whinging will reach record levels.anyway on Munster express says due to start next month.article seems to say that roofing of Apple market and works around friary, Peter st, high st and Arundel square will take place after roadworks along Parnell, manor st and new street area.fairly detailed document on New junction layouts and submissions on council site worth a look.
    First impressions, looks very good.hopefully works go as smooth as possible and doesn't cause too much extra hassle, should be worth it though.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭BBM77

http://www.wlrfm.com/news/local/93349-applemarket-traders-say-they-are-losing-out-because-of-ongoing-improvement-works.html

Here we go again. I want to be positive but why do these public sector projects always drag on soooo long?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

BBM77 wrote: »
    http://www.wlrfm.com/news/local/93349-applemarket-traders-say-they-are-losing-out-because-of-ongoing-improvement-works.html

Here we go again. I want to be positive but why do these public sector projects always drag on soooo long?

It's a big job, its gonna take some time.it's plain silly to complain at this stage, works are progressing well from what I see.

Max Powers wrote: »
    It's a big job, its gonna take some time.it's plain silly to complain at this stage, works are progressing well from what I see.

God those uneducated people with businesses in the area. How could they see their business dropping of and deadlines not being met, a complete repeat of the delays similar projects in the city have faced, as a problem? They should just be mindless nodding donkeys and agree with everything.

So what exactly has to happen before you think there is a problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭dzilla

1 trader(s)

• Advertisement

God those uneducated people with businesses in the area. How could they see their business dropping of and deadlines not being met, a complete repeat of the delays similar projects in the city have faced, as a problem? They should just be mindless nodding donkeys and agree with everything.

So what exactly has to happen before you think there is a problem?

Significant delays or unsafe to access, safe enough there and not aware of any significant delays.

They were supposed to have the latest stage or whatever work was to be finished in November, now the finished date for that stage has been pushed out until March. As I said here we go again. Considering this and what happened with The Quay the concerns are more than justified to my mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭invalid

They were supposed to have the latest stage or whatever work was to be finished in November, now the finished date for that stage has been pushed out until March. As I said here we go again. Considering this and what happened with The Quay the concerns are more than justified to my mind.

The first phase was finished on time, all the future proofing for the shopping centre is done and the foundations for the roof are in. It's an investment of €11million and unfortunately you can't improve a city without there being disruption. It's all to be done by next Christmas, and I think will be worth it.

Don't know where you got those dates but even if correct, we are not in quay like delays here.also, looked like they stopped main works there last Thursday to bring access back to as normal as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

Max Powers wrote: »

It's hard to think of a worst type of work to plan. The area of town is within the old city Walls therefore a national monument and an unexpected archaeology find is a constant possibility then you have the myriad of underground services i.e. Electricity, telecoms, water, sewage etc that are in poor condition and with poor records of their locations, add in the narrowness of the streets, the need to keep streets open and traffic and pedestrians moving and safe, maintaining the access to the businesses, suppressing dust and dirt, and finally the 'kitty from the city types' who complain and moan about everything and you have a nice recipe for an on time and on budget project!! I would have a certain amount of sympathy for the contractors doing this type of work!

• Advertisement
Advertisement