Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New 40 minutes classes

Options
  • 19-04-2016 12:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭

With the advent of each class being at least 40mins long could I have examples of new ateaching day. Our Prin is looking for suggestions

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

Pm sent.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭franktennis

solerina wrote: »
    Pm sent.

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 48,188 ✭✭✭✭km79

With the advent of each class being at least 40mins long could I have examples of new ateaching day. Our Prin is looking for suggestions

Thanks

Is this still happening in every school from September or just proposed ........its part of the new JC right which hasn't been accepted in Asti schools ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

I thought our principal said its not compulsory until 2017?

I've been trying to get my head around the maths on the change in number of hours allocated for subjects.

Assuming 40 minute classes am I correct in calculating that you could potentially have a 4 5 5 set up for English, Irish and Maths? As in, its not necessary to have them every day in each of the three years to hit the minimum number of hours

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Jamfa

I thought our principal said its not compulsory until 2017?

I've been trying to get my head around the maths on the change in number of hours allocated for subjects.

Assuming 40 minute classes am I correct in calculating that you could potentially have a 4 5 5 set up for English, Irish and Maths? As in, its not necessary to have them every day in each of the three years to hit the minimum number of hours

The new subject specifications for English, Irish & Maths are designed for 240 hours which actually works out at 4 4 3. One class period = 22 hours. The changes are detailed in the recent DES circular & I suppose schools are run by BOMs & not unions when it comes to implementing timetabling directives.

• Advertisement

Jesus, thats the minimum right? What on earth are they going to take out of the maths syllabus to allow us to teach it in 3/4 classes a week. I dread seeing it

And actually, where are the extra hours going. I mean if English, Irish and Maths are all potentially down 1-2 periods a week. As far as I'm aware science is supposed to be losing time too. And students are only allowed to take 10 subjects now!

Is there any sample timetables in that circular?

Jesus, thats the minimum right? What on earth are they going to take out of the maths syllabus to allow us to teach it in 3/4 classes a week. I dread seeing it

And actually, where are the extra hours going. I mean if English, Irish and Maths are all potentially down 1-2 periods a week. As far as I'm aware science is supposed to be losing time too. And students are only allowed to take 10 subjects now!

Is there any sample timetables in that circular?

It's the minimum so most schools likely to offer more. The management bodies will receive inputs by support services on timetabling etc & there's the whole area of 400 hours for Wellbeing to be factored in. Many new schools have gone to 1 hr lessons & the 21:20 max teaching timetable might be problematic for them. Maths doesn't change until 2018.

Ok I'm doing some research (really for my own curiosity). One class period of 40 minutes over 3 years is 22 hours right? Students then have 42 class periods a week (28hrs of contact time in 40 minute slots). Is it 35 weeks or 36 weeks in a teaching school year?

Found this in a guide a 2012 summary for the new Junior cycle

1. Gaeilge, English and Mathematics = 240 hours over three years. Minimum. (3S)
    80 hours per academic year.
    480 Minutes class contact or 120 x 40 minute lessons per annum

2. Other Subjects. 200 hours over three years. 66.6 hours per year minimum. (OS)
    3996 minutes class contact
    Circa 100 x 40 minute lessons per annum

3. Short courses. Page 13. Approximately 100m hours over two or three years. (SC)
    ‘Off the Shelf’ Short Courses - NCCA developed x 8
    Specification – Locally developed
    Maximum of 4 to be included for certification
    100 hours = 6000 minutes = 150 x 40 minute lessons over
    2 years = 75 class periods per year or over
    3 years = 50 class periods per year.

So assuming 36 teaching weeks in a school year here's a stab at a timetable working just off the idea of 10 subjects and no short courses.

English 4*40 per week = 96hrs (over 3 years 288hrs)
    Irish 4*40 per week = 96hrs (over 3 years 288hrs)
    Maths 4.*40 per week =96hrs (over 3 years 288hrs)

7 other subjects (I've just picked them randomly)
    French 3*40 per week = 72hrs (over 3 years 216hrs)
    History 3*40 per week = 72hrs (over 3 years 216hrs)
    Geography 3*40 per week = 72hrs (over 3 years 216hrs)
    Science 3*40 per week = 72hrs (over 3 years 216hrs)
    Business 3*40 per week = 72hrs (over 3 years 216hrs)
    Music 3*40 per week = 72hrs (over 3 years 216hrs)
    Home Ec 3*40 per week = 72hrs (over 3 years 216hrs)
    Wellbeing 6*40 per week = 144hrs (over 3 years 432hrs) (NB 5 periods leaves you below the minimum of 400)

Running total of class periods 39 per week

3 classes Remain to be provided at the discretion of the school

Are religious schools going to be allowed to offer religion as a non examinable subject still, maybe out of those 3 periods? Edit: Found this in the framework-they are

I also see one major flaw in the above in relation to short courses. If 2 short courses make up one primary subject that timetable above doesn't allow for an easy timetable switch for time tabling courses in parallel to each other

I'm not sure there will be an easy solution to time tabling these requirements, or at least not one that won't need to be different from year to year! And it's going to have massive knock on effects on hours. Looking at that both of my subjects maths and music are potentially loosing hours so the part timers in my departments are at risk-the wellbeing course is epic and is taking up class periods from the academic side. We had 4 class periods of 35/40 currently used for PE/CSPE/SPHE. That is now jumping to 6 definite 40 minute periods

Oh and final question, does anyone know if the wellbeing course has to be taught by the same teacher for all elements of it or can it be assigned to different teachers. As in it is limited to PE teachers only?

So assuming 36 teaching weeks in a school year here's a stab at a timetable working just off the idea of 10 subjects and no short courses.

English 4*40 per week = 96hrs (over 3 years 288hrs)
    Irish 4*40 per week = 96hrs (over 3 years 288hrs)
    Maths 4.*40 per week =96hrs (over 3 years 288hrs)

7 other subjects (I've just picked them randomly)
    French 3*40 per week = 72hrs (over 3 years 216hrs)
    History 3*40 per week = 72hrs (over 3 years 216hrs)
    Geography 3*40 per week = 72hrs (over 3 years 216hrs)
    Science 3*40 per week = 72hrs (over 3 years 216hrs)
    Business 3*40 per week = 72hrs (over 3 years 216hrs)
    Music 3*40 per week = 72hrs (over 3 years 216hrs)
    Home Ec 3*40 per week = 72hrs (over 3 years 216hrs)
    Wellbeing 6*40 per week = 144hrs (over 3 years 432hrs) (NB 5 periods leaves you below the minimum of 400)

Running total of class periods 39 per week

3 classes Remain to be provided at the discretion of the school

Are religious schools going to be allowed to offer religion as a non examinable subject still, maybe out of those 3 periods? Edit: Found this in the framework-they are

I also see one major flaw in the above in relation to short courses. If 2 short courses make up one primary subject that timetable above doesn't allow for an easy timetable switch for time tabling courses in parallel to each other

I'm not sure there will be an easy solution to time tabling these requirements, or at least not one that won't need to be different from year to year! And it's going to have massive knock on effects on hours. Looking at that both of my subjects maths and music are potentially loosing hours so the part timers in my departments are at risk-the wellbeing course is epic and is taking up class periods from the academic side. We had 4 class periods of 35/40 currently used for PE/CSPE/SPHE. That is now jumping to 6 definite 40 minute periods

Oh and final question, does anyone know if the wellbeing course has to be taught by the same teacher for all elements of it or can it be assigned to different teachers. As in it is limited to PE teachers only?

The timetabling of the 400 hours is to be finalised but must include PE, CSPE & SPHE & these can be taught by different teachers. The school will have to show how 'wellbeing' is timetabled but it could be as part of a subject or short course or other learning experiences such as retreats, sports days etc. The timetable will also have to incorporate the 24 statements of learning.

• Advertisement

Oh thats rather open to interpretation isn't it? Like we bring each year group on a weekend trip to Killary, could that be counted as wellbeing hours? Or we have study skills workshops run annually, that would fall under that as well (they are within school time as such though they are taken out of other classes for it)

Advertisement