Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Portforward from Modem A or B (or both)?

Options
  • 18-04-2016 7:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

Hi guys

I'm trying to set up port forwarding so I can FTP into my NAS. I actually had this working before and know a little about port forwarding etc and DNS etc but unfortunately hosed my settings.

I have a setup of

A: Broadband cable router (bridge mode)
    B: Netgear router
    C: NAS

skitch.png

My question is, do I need to :

1. Setup port forwarding from Router A to NAS C.
    OR
    2 Setup port forwarding from Router A to Router B and then setup Router B to port forward to NAS C

I just cannot seem to get this working this time around and I'm running DSM 6.

I have the following checklists complete

* UPC gave me a IPV4 address and the router A is in bridge mode
    * Router A has a NOIP Dynamic IP address which works
    * NAS Drive C has a reserved IP established on Router B Control Panel.

I've read and re-read the forums as there are multiple FTP posts but nothing mentioned works.

Any suggestions? Particularly around points 1 and 2.
    Thanks in advance
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

eladnova wrote: »
    Hi guys

I'm trying to set up port forwarding so I can FTP into my NAS. I actually had this working before and know a little about port forwarding etc and DNS etc but unfortunately hosed my settings.

I have a setup of

A: Broadband cable router (bridge mode)
    B: Netgear router
    C: NAS

skitch.png

My question is, do I need to :

1. Setup port forwarding from Router A to NAS C.
    OR
    2 Setup port forwarding from Router A to Router B and then setup Router B to port forward to NAS C

I just cannot seem to get this working this time around and I'm running DSM 6.

I have the following checklists complete

* UPC gave me a IPV4 address and the router A is in bridge mode
    * Router A has a NOIP Dynamic IP address which works
    * NAS Drive C has a reserved IP established on Router B Control Panel.

I've read and re-read the forums as there are multiple FTP posts but nothing mentioned works.

Any suggestions? Particularly around points 1 and 2.
    Thanks in advance

If your modem is in bridge mode it's a layer 2 device so will not be routing. You port forward from your router b to the Nas

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭eladnova

If your modem is in bridge mode it's a layer 2 device so will not be routing. You port forward from your router b to the Nas

Cheers man. Was wondering.
    No joy so far.

oddly enough, it works fine if Modem B is set to AccessPoint mode.
    But that's no good for me as it disables a lot of the router functionality I need.

I'll eventually fig it out! There's a shed load of settings in the NAS Control Panel too so it could be one of them although FTP does work locally (not externally) so I'm half way there.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Then you aren't actually bridging.

ED E wrote: »
    Then you aren't actually bridging.

"Then..."

When?
    When I was in Access Point mode? I get that.
    Or did you mean I'm not in bridge mode if port forwarding is not working?

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭brianwalshcork

What port numbers are you forwarding for FTP?

• Advertisement

What port numbers are you forwarding for FTP?

Hi Brian

I'm forwarding ports

21 for FTP
    22 for SFTP
    55536-55663 for Passive mode

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

What device is Router B, from what provider?

Is Router A plugged into the WAN port on Router B.

What IP does router B get on its WAN interface, does it start with 10 or 192?

What device is Router B, from what provider?

Is Router A plugged into the WAN port on Router B.

What IP does router B get on its WAN interface, does it start with 10 or 192?

Router B: A Netgear R7000

Router A (UPC) is plugged into one of the 4 ethernet ports on Router B (Netgear).
    Should it instead be plugged into the single "internet" port n Router B (Netgear)?

Router B WAN interface: 192.168.1.18

Router B: A Netgear R7000

Router A (UPC) is plugged into one of the 4 ethernet ports on Router B (Netgear).
    Should it instead be plugged into the single "internet" port n Router B (Netgear)?

Router B WAN interface: 192.168.1.18

In your case, router B is not acting as a router. Router B should be set to access point mode. Port forwarding should be between router A and NAS C.

You should check to see if IPV6 is enabled, http://test-ipv6.com/ It should come up as "no IPV6 enabled". If that is the case, port forwarding should work. If not, you don't have a valid IPV4 address from Virgin.

Ok thanks.

I do have an IP 4 address (just checked) and apparently the UPC guys set it to bridge mode which can be implemented on a request basis.
    Normally by default they do IPV6 and don't support bridge mode.

• Advertisement

Is it one of the new large white 360MB modems?

Like this.
    superhub3.jpg

Is it one of the new large white 360MB modems?

Like this.
    superhub3.jpg

No such luck. It's the hideous technicolor 7200

https://www.google.ie/search?q=upc+modem+technicolor+7200&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiFtLafzJrMAhXHbhQKHWxxCvoQ_AUIBygB&biw=1293&bih=1290

No such luck. It's the hideous technicolor 7200

Its not in bridge/modem mode. Bridge mode is where the device becomes a modem for coaxial, no wifi or other services work on it. I know that because UPC don't allow or support bridge mode on the 7200. They deliberately removed it.

Your choices are
    • Get the new 360Mb compal modem(this does allow a "modem" mode)
    • Turn your netgear into AP mode and do what you need to do on the somewhat dodgey 7200.
    • Run double Nat, where the 7200 plugs into the WAN port on the Netgear. There is a good chance this will break something else though, its not a good idea in general.

Advertisement