Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commute Greystones to Kildare

Options
  • 18-04-2016 6:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I am looking to move to Greystones but I work in the Curragh, Kildare and would love to know how long the commute would be for me. I work 9-5 so i know i will be driving in peak times but i'm a little concerned about how bad the journey could be.
    A commute within an hour and a half would be manageable but if it is closer to two hours, I think I will have to reconsider my options.
    Any advice on this would be much appreciated :)

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The two obvious options are M11/M50/N7, you would be going against the worst flow of traffic on the M50 and N7 but not the M11 so I could see Google's estimated 80 minutes for that time of morning turning to 90+ at times; or driving over the Wicklow Gap which would be a lot longer in time but likely more consistent - and also potentially not an option in hard winters.

You'll be racking up 150-160km a day, so fuel costs and depreciation to your car will have to be considered.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 LottiRussell

Thanks for your reply. I would definitely chose the main road option.

if there is anyone who does the commute or similar, it would be great to hear from you too

Many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 15,907 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Is the train an option for you at all? With Heuston tunnel opening soon for Kildare commuter lines you could change at Grand Canal Dock to the DART for Greystones and vice versa. I suppose you might need to get from the nearest Kildare station to your work though. But there is always a fold up bike!

Just a thought, but may not be all that practical really.

And I am sorry, but there is no way on earth I would do that commute twice a day! But we are all different.

Are you sure about the move to Greystones? Would you consider renting there first for a year to see how it works out? Maybe you are going to rent, not clear from your post.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 LottiRussell

Thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately, I have to take the car to work as I need equipment etc. for the job

I would only rent first so definitely won't go head first in and buy without experiencing it!

Actually, my sister lives there so I am going to test it from Wednesday for a week or more but I still would love to hear other opinions on it before I start the journey!

Many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 15,907 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately, I have to take the car to work as I need equipment etc. for the job

I would only rent first so definitely won't go head first in and buy without experiencing it!

Actually, my sister lives there so I am going to test it from Wednesday for a week or more but I still would love to hear other opinions on it before I start the journey!

Many thanks

Best of luck. I hope some others will come along with more advice for you.

I am glad you are going to try it out first before maybe buying! Greystones is lovely though. Lucky you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement