Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a full alarm and Video Camera System -€2k budget

Options
  • 18-04-2016 6:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭

Hi

I am starting to research an alarm system for a detached 1800 sq ft dormer house.

Requirements are:

- shock/break sensors on 10 windows and 2 doors
    - minimal risk of being disabled
    - Control from mobile phone app
    - remote control of to switch on/off power to sockets (lamp, tv etc)
    - 3 external video cameras, visible through mobile phone.

What's the gold standard system that might fulfill the above, (excluding systems that are silly money!).

I would hope to keep it two 2k max, but would spend another couple of hundred if it means getting the right system.

Lastly, any further recommendations on hardware for windows / doors to make entering difficult? Reason I ask is that we might be changing the front and rear doors soon - so recommendations on what features locks and the doors themselves should have would be great. Also, any particular brand of door is superior etc?

Thanks a mil

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Siemens?Vanderbilt would tick all the boxes for the alarm.
    For the CCTV you would be better with a separate system.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭tedimc

Regarding the CCTV, I would invest a little/lot more in at least one or two really good quality cameras.

Look for ones with good night-time viewing if outside and a high resolution.

I'd personally go for IP cameras and you could run a single cable to each one if they are PoE. Most are accessible via an app nowadays.

You would be better with one good one instead of 3 crappy ones. If you went with a PTZ, it could also cover a large area. Recording wise, you have a lot of options from re-using an old PC/laptop to a purpose built recorder. You probably wouldn't need anything too fancy for recording.

Advertisement