Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

looking for structural engineer

Options
  • 18-04-2016 5:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭

Hi all

Can anyone recommend a structural engineer to have a look at a double story extension on a house I would like to make a offer on.

I know there is only so much a person can tell from visual inspection but there could be something obviously wrong to a engineer that the usual joe soap wouldn't realize.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,194 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Are you prepared to pay maybe 700 euro for such advice on something you may not buy?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭byrner51

I actually have an offer on the house now so if it's accepted it could be the difference between me buying a house that is structurally sound or a house that need's repairs.

I honesty didn't think it would be that expensive to have a engineer have a look though. Would there be any better alternatives available.

Thanks for the reply

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

As with all things byrner51 - you get what you pay for. (Although you pay a little more for it in Dublin than elsewhere, but then you're getting paid more too!)

If it's any consolation I'd suggest that for the rate Calahonda52 suggested the Engineer would check out the whole house for you. Not just the extension.

To answer your original question there is definitely things a professional would see with the naked eye that a non-professional would miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

byrner51 wrote: »
    I actually have an offer on the house now so if it's accepted it could be the difference between me buying a house that is structurally sound or a house that need's repairs.

I honesty didn't think it would be that expensive to have a engineer have a look though. Would there be any better alternatives available.

Thanks for the reply

Location ?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,038 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Thanks for the reply

due diligence as as purchaser would mean you get a "pre purchase survey" carried out before agreeing to purchase.

• Advertisement

Thanks everyone for the input appreciate the feedback.

Location of house is tallaght.

The reason I want to get it checked is because the double story extension that was built has no paperwork for it building certs etc so basically would want to make sure it was built correctly and according to regulations

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Thanks everyone for the input appreciate the feedback.

Location of house is tallaght.

The reason I want to get it checked is because the double story extension that was built has no paperwork for it building certs etc so basically would want to make sure it was built correctly and according to regulations

Problem with that is you cannot really tell without opening up works. And you can't do that until you buy it.

kceire wrote: »
    Problem with that is you cannot really tell without opening up works. And you can't do that until you buy it.

I could actually open up the floor and wall's no problem. The house is empty nearly 2 years and in need of total refurbishment. Vendor would have no problem with it I verified this already :)

Does anyone here know anyone or could recommend the type of professional I should look for?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

I could actually open up the floor and wall's no problem. The house is empty nearly 2 years and in need of total refurbishment. Vendor would have no problem with it I verified this already :)

Does anyone here know anyone or could recommend the type of professional I should look for?

Surprised the vendor hasn't all those certs in order themselves it'd make the sale process a lot smoother especially since the house is vacant two years.
    Any local architects office would have a structural engineer affiliated with them as most building work has been those type of domestic extensions the last 7 years. For your own piece of mind a lot of exposing of structure would need to be done. It could be a very cheap 700€ well spent

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

If you are allowed open up then go for it!

So much of the structurally important items in houses are covered over that there is a huge difference between a visual inspection and an invasive one.

I love when the owner opens up the structure for inspection. Makes my job a lot easier and makes my advice to the client much more precise.

Get some recommendations for a good engineer OP. Then get him in to point out the areas he'd like to see opened up. With the owner's permission open them up and get the engineer back to prepare a report and ideally talk you through it in person if you can be in the house with him. You won't regret the money in years to come - it should be well worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

That opens up (pardon the pun) the possibility of a proper survey.

Where is the property based?

Thanks everyone for the replies. That's exactly what I am looking for now recommendations for a good engineer.

Property is in tallaght :)

Advertisement