Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are my blank DVD discs 120 mins or 3 1/2 hrs.

• 18-04-2016 11:28am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭

Am currently transferring the contents of my UPC box* to blank CD discs via a DVR recorder.

Am using Verbatim DVD+RW discs, that has the following specs...

- 4.7GBGo
    - 4x speed vitesse
    - 120 mins

I have no idea what the first two mean, but I presume the last one is 120 minutes or 2 hrs of recording time.

However, when I put them into the DVR recorder and start recording, the counter display counts back from 3 1/2 hrs and not 2 hrs.

So which one will it be? Some of the things I am recording (sporting events) are over 2 hrs long. I want to be able to go leave the house and let it record away for the three plus hrs, without having to switch out a new disc after two hours.

Are discs like the old fashioned VHS tapes? You could switch them from 2, 4, or 6 hrs of recording time, if you changed the settings between EP/SP/LP. Can you do that with a disc and if so, how?

I know I could just sit and watch it and time when the discs stop recording, but I am under a time crunch to get this done, so hopefully someone here can provide an answer sooner.

Ta.

*Hope I am not breaking any rules asking about recording copyright programs. The recordings are for my own personal use and enjoyment. Am not up to any bootlegging malarkey.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Wouldn't it be better, more practical and reliable to record to hard drive rather than discs?

Especially with sporting events that get delayed, or extended due to extra time, penalties etc.

Not sure what box you have, but most of the equipment used these days has usb connection for recording.

Some tv's allow recording directly to usb sticks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

You can choose any data rate you like with a DVD (they're not CDs). The lower the bitrate the more you can fit but the worse it will look (so yes a little like old VHS that way). Your recorder should have an option for changing this.

As said, though, a hard drive (or two, one for back up) would be much better. DVDs are pretty ancient technology these days.

Advertisement