Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

R.I.P Sir Jack Leslie

Options
  • 18-04-2016 10:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭

A true legend and character of Monaghan, Sir Jack Leslie, passed away today, aged 99 years.

"Uncle Jack" became very famous when he let the cat out of the bag to the press of the impending nuptials of Paul McCartney and Heather Mills in his castle in Glaslough.

He was also known for his dancing and went to Manumission in Ibiza to celebrate his 80th birthday.

Often seen in the pubs and clubs of Monaghan town up until about a year ago, he would usually have a hat on with feathers in it and would be giving it loads on the dance floor.

A war veteran and cousin of Winston Churchill, Jack and his family were also known for their republican stance and for their care of their tenants during the famine years.

I for one am sad to see the old bugger go but am just lucky to have made his acquaintance and to have had the pleasure of dancing beside him.

Rest in peace ya mad git.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

RIP a true character.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

If we had four million in the country like him it would be great. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

I encountered him a couple of times. Nice old buffer. Spread a bit of happiness around, and I don't think he caused anybody any grief. We could do with more like him, and his passing leaves the world a bit poorer.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

You know i always found it curious that despite our cruel colonial past, that a lot of irish seem to have a soft spot for the eccentric aristocratic anglos

e.g. Lord Henry Mountcharles, David Norris and the like

RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,159 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

fryup wrote: »
    You know i always found it curious that despite our cruel colonial past, that a lot of irish seem to have a soft spot for the eccentric aristocratic anglos

RIP.

David Norris is an aristocrat now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^^^^^^^^^

yes, an old queen ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,159 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

^^^^^^^^^^^

yes, an old queen ;)

well i wouldnt argue with that description of him. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

RIP.

nothing curious about it.

It's only the rack-renting heartless absentee bastards we ever hated all told.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

topper75 wrote: »
    nothing curious about it.

It's only the rack-renting heartless absentee bastards we ever hated all told.

I still think we should not have Irish people going around with those ridiculous titles and peerages granted from another country.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 kidfromkibbly

Sad to hear, but he inarguably lived life to the fullest. The Leslie's had and continue to have an affinity for Ireland and the land, beyond what most Irish people can even claim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

RIP Threads are the worst

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

RIP Sir Jack. Was only in the castle a few weeks ago and he wasn't too well then, but we didn't expect him to pop his clogs just yet! Sadly he will miss seeing the new jetty on the lake, which will by built (fingers crossed) to replace the "McCartney-Mills" one which has rotted away to buggery...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭Shint0

That's gas. Something came in my mind about him a few days ago as I heard nothing about him for years so I looked up to see if he was still alive. Sometimes I do get some strange premonitions like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,975 ✭✭✭Hitchens

David Norris is an aristocrat now?
    A stately homo

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭fermanagh_man

He use to light up the nightclubs in Monaghan town when I was younger

Wonderful character

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Breeding dear boy, breeding.

Advertisement