Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starlings

Options
  • 18-04-2016 7:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭

Why would I be seeing an increase in Starling activity now? I would have thought the winter visitors would be leaving now?

Spotted the first ones actually in my garden this winter just yesterday.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Flocks stick together until as late as the end of April. These are usually juveniles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

this was just two and they were staying close to each other. Also spotted a couple in Mallow the other day, maybe they followed me home.

this was just two and they were staying close to each other. Also spotted a couple in Mallow the other day, maybe they followed me home.

I'm not sure what you are imaging. They are native breeding birds. This was just a pair. They are everywhere.

my point being they haven't been seen in my garden all winter.... the only ones I saw were out over the fields.

By staying close together, I was suggesting they were a pair rather than juveniles

my point being they haven't been seen in my garden all winter.... the only ones I saw were out over the fields.

By staying close together, I was suggesting they were a pair rather than juveniles

I see. They are around the garden looking for a nest site in the buildings.

• Advertisement

that's good....already spotted where my Sparrows are nesting....they are a recent influx too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Stigura

I have starlings, on eggs, all over the place now. They got their towels on the sun loungers back around November.

Your pair may well be nesting. Hen coming off for a feed. Cock bird accompanying her to keep an eye out. They do that a lot, till the full clutch is down.

Feare will have all ye answers. But, be warned; It's like rubbing salt into ye eyes with sandpaper! :eek:

Stigura wrote: »
    I have starlings, on eggs, all over the place now. They got their towels on the sun loungers back around November.

Your pair may well be nesting. Hen coming off for a feed. Cock bird accompanying her to keep an eye out. They do that a lot, till the full clutch is down.

Feare will have all ye answers. But, be warned; It's like rubbing salt into ye eyes with sandpaper! :eek:

In November, they are flocked for the winter. Starlings only pair off in April. Most are still investigating nest sites and starting to build now.

In November, they are flocked for the winter. Starlings only pair off in April. Most are still investigating nest sites and starting to build now.

Errrr ...... Ye asking for photo's? I have about ten nests with eggs, as ye read this.

And, I can assure ye; My birds were sitting, in their favourite trees, before going down to their selected nest boxes for the night, in November.

But, granted; My local birds aren't " Most " of the starling populace.

I can only speak from personal observation.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 OBaoghil.7

Stigura wrote: »

We are the same as you. Every year. They have many nests in the out buildings of the farm.

• Advertisement

Chickies Confirmed! :D

Advertisement