Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WD Passport drive (1TB) now asks to be formatted!

Options
  • 17-04-2016 9:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

I've a feeling nothing can be done here and I've tried the obvious, but when a computer fails to see your usb drive its probably only fit for a drinks coaster!
    I had a lot of movies and holiday photos backed up on this WD passport drive, I'm sure you people know them. 2 years old only. Now when I attach the usb it tellsme the drive needs to be formatted....I nearly had a heart attack. Luckily im technician so I could potentially change the electronics in it with the same type in order to get the info off the platter. Has anyone ever done this before. ?
    Guess what, I wont EVER be buying Western Digital again ( F*****s)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭whizbang

About 1 in 10 times i use a usb storage media, i get this sort of crap from windows. 90% of the time, there is nothing much wrong, try it again a few times, different ports, even different pc.

However, like everyone else before you, you find these things are not reliable enough to backup anything at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭degsie

I had a lot of movies and holiday photos backed up on this WD passport drive

When you say 'backed up' this would infer you have another copy as any technician worth their salt would do. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Hi Folks,

I've a feeling nothing can be done here and I've tried the obvious, but when a computer fails to see your usb drive its probably only fit for a drinks coaster!
    I had a lot of movies and holiday photos backed up on this WD passport drive, I'm sure you people know them. 2 years old only. Now when I attach the usb it tellsme the drive needs to be formatted....I nearly had a heart attack. Luckily im technician so I could potentially change the electronics in it with the same type in order to get the info off the platter. Has anyone ever done this before. ?
    Guess what, I wont EVER be buying Western Digital again ( F*****s)

Have you tried mounting it in a Linux distribution to see if you can see the files on the drive? Worth a try. Worked for me before with a USB key that Windows told me was borked.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Or even try a different USB cable. It's worked for me a few times with quite a few devices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

You might have some luck with linux.

However, firing all your important pictures etc onto an external USB drive isn't a back up. It's a copy, you don't have any redundancy (as you've now discovered).

Get a NAS (with more than one drive) which would at least give you some redundancy if a drive fails. Or cheaper still is get a pair of USB drives and have the same stuff on both, the chances of both drives failing at the same time are much smaller.

• Advertisement
Advertisement