Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What software to use to organise/catalog my crap?

Options
  • 17-04-2016 6:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭

I don't know if this is in the right forum but I am looking to catalog all the 'junk' i have collected over the years and still collect! I'm talking about collectible stuff like CD's and Vinyls, computer games, cameras to other not very collectible things like pc motherboards, processors, bicycle parts!

I thought Excel or the Linux alternative would be handy with the tabs to distinguish categories but I would need to keep photos of the items. I would also need this to by dynamic i.e. some items might have one photo but another item might have 30 photos belonging to it. Would that be possible in a spreadsheet?

I also thought why stick with a spreadsheet when I could use Access to create a database but same thing applies - can i have photographs linked to each item etc?

I did a project years ago in college where i created a front end to an access database for a record shop but my programming skills would be next to useless now. I would be interested in learning again but would need to have a good base first! I wouldn't want to go gung-ho into something only to find out it didn't work right.

I was also thinking of a web based database system, the like of what you see on websites. Expandable categories and then open up to a page with all the relevant details about the item and as many photos as i could want but unfortunately this technology is alien to me!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭pillphil

I think storing the file paths for the images in the database would be better, I'm open to correction on this though.
    If you want to learn programming again, something like codecademy.com or freecodecamp.com might be worth looking into for web based applications.
    There are also a lot of programming courses on edx.org and coursera.org for non web based languages C, Java etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Download Wordpress or Joomla (Open source CMS), tag on a shopping cart plugin and host it on a local server (xampp or wamp)

The learning curve wont be too steep and you wont need to do any coding. Most of these give an option for "Catalog" mode to hide prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

breadbin wrote: »
    ...t I am looking to catalog all the 'junk' i have collected over the years and still collect! I'm talking about collectible stuff like CD's and Vinyls, computer games, cameras to other not very collectible things like pc motherboards, processors, bicycle parts!...

Why? What problem will it solve?

Or is it just because you can?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 webfruits

You are looking for an inventory system of some sort, you could go search for endless amount of them usually for Businesses and warehouses.
    I would suggest looking at evernote or trello.
    They have free options, you can create different folders or boards for your stuff and add in photos too.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭jgorres

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,398 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭breadbin

jgorres wrote: »

thanks for pointing me in the direction of Datacrow. Never heard of it and seems perfect...for certain things anyway. just downloading it now.

@beauf it's not just because i can but i do buy things pretty much all the time and have these 'projects' i like to keep open. for instance i bought myself a brand new in box Pentium Pro cpu. its a beautiful piece of history and will pop it into a motherboard. I was all set to buy some ram for it too until i realised i might have bought it already and sure enough I did, a couple of months back. it will save me buying stuff i already have.

Advertisement