Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RCSI Aim High Scholarship

Options
  • 17-04-2016 6:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭

Does anyone have more information on this scholarship?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,142 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

These are the criteria:
    RCSI Aim high Medicine Scholarship applicants must:
    have a CAO application with RC001 listed as a course choice

Meet HEAR eligibility requirements www.accesscollege.ie

present a minimum of 6 subjects in the Irish leaving Certificate Examination
    which must include Irish, English, Mathematics, a 3rd language and a science
    subject from the group, physics, Chemistry, physics/Chemistry, and biology

have resided in Ireland for at least 3 out of the past 5 years and immediately
    preceding the year of application

Achieve a minimum of 480 points in the Irish leaving Certificate Examination
    and meet all other national entry criteria (HPAT).

The Trustees can take additional criteria into consideration when determining the suitability of a candidate for award of the RCSI Aim high Medicine Scholarship.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭retweet

Thanks Spurious, I saw that on their website.

I was just wondering what is included in the scholarship? Reduced Points, Grants etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Take Your Pants Off

But one thing confusing, is that it says you must have applied for HEAR, sure then whats the point in applying for the RCSI aim high, if the hear will get you in with reduced points, won't they be the same thing ?.
    From what I read...
    Edit:
    http://www.careersportal.ie/careerguidance/articles.php?school_id=690&article_id=783
    If you read the part about the pharmacy scholarship it says about financial support and that its similar to the medicine one so, I guess so...?

Still don't get about the aim of the scholarship for lets say a person who applied with susi and hear ?!?!

But one thing confusing, is that it says you must have applied for HEAR, sure then whats the point in applying for the RCSI aim high, if the hear will get you in with reduced points, won't they be the same thing ?.
    From what I read...
    Edit:
    http://www.careersportal.ie/careerguidance/articles.php?school_id=690&article_id=783
    If you read the part about the pharmacy scholarship it says about financial support and that its similar to the medicine one so, I guess so...?

Still don't get about the aim of the scholarship for lets say a person who applied with susi and hear ?!?!

I was thinking the exact same! I'll email them and ask for more information. Will update when I hear something!

Has anyone heard anything back from contacting them? I haven't heard a thing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 Ryan97

retweet wrote: »
    Has anyone heard anything back from contacting them? I haven't heard a thing

I applied but I haven't heard anything back. Do you know if there's an interview process involved?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Ericaosull

Hi hopefully I can help someone applying this year, 2016.

In 2014 I was awarded the Aim High scholarship, the college try to fundraise for at least one student each year to study medicine.

I had HEAR, SUSI, 540 LC points, sat my HPAT and I was offered a reduced point place, like the hear scheme but my fees are also covered. If you just apply through HEAR you wont get the extra financial support but there's a place for HEAR and for scholarships so do apply for everything.

SUSI covers the €3,000 student contribution and the scholarship pays the other fees (450 IT fees, 250 vaccination, 250 NUI matriculation etc..) I also get support to buy medical equipment and books which can be quite expensive and I have a great relationship with the Admissions office and everyone really looks out for me here.

RCSI Is an amazing place to study, as a third year Medical student I highly recommend it! Definitely apply if you are passionate about studying Medicine, It is tough but I've loved every minute of it and without this scholarship I may not have been able to attend RCSI at all.

To apply you need to take initiative and sort it out yourself, I wrote my personal statement, got a reference from my year head and sent RCSI a transcript of all of my results etc. and sent all of this myself to RCSI, don't wait for guidance counsellors because they're so busy!

I got an email just before the LC to say after my LC I'd hear back, and that was In August, when my 1st CAO offer was RC001-Medicine 5yrs; I was absolutely delighted as you can imagine. So if you're passionate about medicine and you might get HEAR, go for it!

Since my time here in RCSI I've done well in all exams, I've worked in medical research placements two summers in a row and I'm heading off to Africa to work in a medical clinic for 3 weeks... far from the stressful days of the LC thank god and I got my chance to prove that I could perform well in Medicine even though I'm coming in on a reduced cao points place. It's the chance we're all hoping for when we want to study medicine, I hope you get your chance too.

Ps no Interviews involved in 2014.

All the best with your studies! Any more questions feel free to ask :)

Ericaosull wrote: »

In 2014 I was awarded the Aim High scholarship, the college try to fundraise for at least one student each year to study medicine.

I had HEAR, SUSI, 540 LC points, sat my HPAT and I was offered a reduced point place, like the hear scheme but my fees are also covered. If you just apply through HEAR you wont get the extra financial support but there's a place for HEAR and for scholarships so do apply for everything.

SUSI covers the €3,000 student contribution and the scholarship pays the other fees (450 IT fees, 250 vaccination, 250 NUI matriculation etc..) I also get support to buy medical equipment and books which can be quite expensive and I have a great relationship with the Admissions office and everyone really looks out for me here.

RCSI Is an amazing place to study, as a third year Medical student I highly recommend it! Definitely apply if you are passionate about studying Medicine, It is tough but I've loved every minute of it and without this scholarship I may not have been able to attend RCSI at all.

To apply you need to take initiative and sort it out yourself, I wrote my personal statement, got a reference from my year head and sent RCSI a transcript of all of my results etc. and sent all of this myself to RCSI, don't wait for guidance counsellors because they're so busy!

I got an email just before the LC to say after my LC I'd hear back, and that was In August, when my 1st CAO offer was RC001-Medicine 5yrs; I was absolutely delighted as you can imagine. So if you're passionate about medicine and you might get HEAR, go for it!

Since my time here in RCSI I've done well in all exams, I've worked in medical research placements two summers in a row and I'm heading off to Africa to work in a medical clinic for 3 weeks... far from the stressful days of the LC thank god and I got my chance to prove that I could perform well in Medicine even though I'm coming in on a reduced cao points place. It's the chance we're all hoping for when we want to study medicine, I hope you get your chance too.

Thank you for the reply. Congratulations on the scholarship and your continued success with medicine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭reason vs religion

You'd think with all their Middle Eastern money they'd be able to offer more than a single measly scholarship, and one that offers more than just exemptions from their own charges.

Ericaosull wrote: »

Thanks for the info! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭IrishLassie26

When is the closing date for this scholarship or when did ye apply?

When is the closing date for this scholarship or when did ye apply?

As far as I know it was June the 30th but still sent the application through if you're interested. Good luck.

Advertisement