Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back to education and summer work

Options
  • 17-04-2016 4:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭

Im first year mature student and and three weeks time i will have my last exam. Im currently receiving backt to education allowance and would like to work over the summer time after my exams.

If I understand correctly, I will be getting back to education again in september regardless if i have worked over the summer or not. Is this correct?

Are my earnings over the summer will affect amount of my Back to education payment? If it gets reduced drastically im probably better off staying on dole over the summer as my current payment is minimal....

Do I have to finish my employment min 2 weeks prior starting course again? Just to get me on Jobseekers so i can qualify for back to education again?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭corcaigh1

Mandzhalas wrote: »
    Im first year mature student and and three weeks time i will have my last exam. Im currently receiving backt to education allowance and would like to work over the summer time after my exams.

If I understand correctly, I will be getting back to education again in september regardless if i have worked over the summer or not. Is this correct?

Are my earnings over the summer will affect amount of my Back to education payment? If it gets reduced drastically im probably better off staying on dole over the summer as my current payment is minimal....

Do I have to finish my employment min 2 weeks prior starting course again? Just to get me on Jobseekers so i can qualify for back to education again?

Dont quote me but yeah I have heard that summer earnings can effect BTEA going forward..

• Registered Users Posts: 5 The M

I am going to Uni in September they are saying need to be 18 month on Jobseekers to Get that allowance but I think you can get a grant not to sure hope someone has more info

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Mandzhalas

The M wrote: »
    I am going to Uni in September they are saying need to be 18 month on Jobseekers to Get that allowance but I think you can get a grant not to sure hope someone has more info

Thanks for your input, but as i stated im already receiving BTEA

• Registered Users Posts: 5 The M

Will you get that every year I am on a unavailable for work allowance my misses works on a jobScheme , I can't get BTEA , so hoping to get Susi , but will I get BTEA for my 2nd year at Uni any help appreciated thanks M

Talk to your mature student office in college, they will tell you straight up..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Mandzhalas

update: I got to talk with local back to education deciding officer and she told me because i am proceeding to year two from year one i automatically will qualify for back to education allowance if i will be unemployed when i resume my studies in september.
    Income from summer will have no affect on my btea allowance whatsover.

update: I got to talk with local back to education deciding officer and she told me because i am proceeding to year two from year one i automatically will qualify for back to education allowance if i will be unemployed when i resume my studies in september.
    Income from summer will have no affect on my btea allowance whatsover.

My apologies I completely misread, I was thinking of SUSI not the BTEA. I have heard it can affect a SUSI allowance..

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Heart Break Kid

Fun fact: You can work part time and still get back to education year on year.

"BTEA and part-time work
    If you are getting BTEA (except for people getting JB since 1 January 2015) you may start part-time work during the academic year without affecting your rate of payment – provided the work does not affect your studies and college attendance."

Full details here
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/back_to_education/back_to_education_allowance.html

Its handy for work experince.

Advertisement