Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

investing 300k

Options
  • 17-04-2016 3:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭

I have 360k earning nothing in the bank. anyone got any ideas for investing

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭topper_harley2

john1963 wrote: »

This is identical to the equally vague thread you started in June of last year, except you had 100K to invest: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=95975176

The answers will be the same! Well done on somehow amassing an extra 260K in a single year.....I think you should be the one giving the investment advice at that rate....:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭john1963

This is identical to the equally vague thread you started in June of last year, except you had 100K to invest: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=95975176

The answers will be the same! Well done on somehow amassing an extra 260K in a single year.....I think you should be the one giving the investment advice at that rate....:D
    I did have 300k them but waa going to buy an apArtment and difnt so now I jave 300 I want to.invest. what is vague about that

I did have 300k them but waa going to buy an apArtment and difnt so now I jave 300 I want to.invest. what is vague about that

Its incredibly vague in that you have provided zero details about anything regarding timelines, required access to the money or anything whatsoever about your personal circumstances. e.g. What are you investing for? How long are you investing for? Have you a pension? Have you a mortgage? Have you an emergency fund outside this 300k? Have you invested before?

What research have you done yourself into investments e.g. Do you know what are ETFs, index funds, UCIT funds, absolute return funds?

Without trying to unhelpful, if you have 300K to invest and seemingly zero ideas yourself, have you not considered a fee-based advisor?

Its incredibly vague in that you have provided zero details about anything regarding timelines, required access to the money or anything whatsoever about your personal circumstances. e.g. What are you investing for? How long are you investing for? Have you a pension? Have you a mortgage? Have you an emergency fund outside this 300k? Have you invested before?

What research have you done yourself into investments e.g. Do you know what are ETFs, index funds, UCIT funds, absolute return funds?

Without trying to unhelpful, if you have 300K to invest and seemingly zero ideas yourself, have you not considered a fee-based advisor?

I have s pension and no mortgage. I simply hsve a large amt of cash which is earning no interest. I dont know what efts or ucit funds etc are. thays why I posted here. for recommendations . do if u are advising me to go to a fee based advisor thanks

• Advertisement

I have s pension and no mortgage. I simply hsve a large amt of cash which is earning no interest. I dont know what efts or ucit funds etc are. thays why I posted here. for recommendations . do if u are advising me to go to a fee based advisor thanks

If u don't need the money soon, state savings ten year bond gives risk free return of 2.26% AER, meaning 25% in ten years. Hence if you put the maximum allowed if 125k into that you'd get 31k in interest in ten years. If married you can have joint account with 250k.

However, I have no idea if you need instant access to the money or whether you are married, as you have given zero details on your circumstances, as I pointed out. Do you now see why your question is super vague?

If you went to adviser, they would ask all these questions before recommending anything, especially with such a large sum of money. You can't expect random people on public forum to give you good, and free, investment advice with no information.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Maybe invest a few €€€ in English lessons
    Your typing skills are poor
    Are you one of these African princes in need of people to send money too...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Put it all on black op

• Registered Users Posts: 22,050 ✭✭✭✭Esel

brinty wrote: »

Uncalled for, imo. :(

Edit: English lessons? Pot, kettle, tbh. The OP may have fat fingers, but...

@Mods: Sorry, had to be said.

Not your ornery onager

Esel wrote: »
    Uncalled for, imo. :(

Most things nowadays can be excused as 'banter'

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

If u don't need the money soon, state savings ten year bond gives risk free return of 2.26% AER, meaning 25% in ten years. Hence if you put the maximum allowed if 125k into that you'd get 31k in interest in ten years. If married you can have joint account with 250k.

However, I have no idea if you need instant access to the money or whether you are married, as you have given zero details on your circumstances, as I pointed out. Do you now see why your question is super vague?

If you went to adviser, they would ask all these questions before recommending anything, especially with such a large sum of money. You can't expect random people on public forum to give you good, and free, investment advice with no information.

Long term Government bonds arent great in the long term. If you buy short term bonds or bills eg 1 year bills. When you reinvest each year, you are keeping up with the interest rate hikes and are more protected from inflation. When inflation start picking up in 3/4 years. OP's money could very well end up losing its real value

OP you should go to a fee based financial advisor. Use one with a flat fee, so he/she has no incentive to push a ****ty product for commission eg a ton of apartments in Bulgaria.

IMO some student housing is a good investment, as you can still pick up the odd one with section 50 on it. Plus Student accommodation has different tenancy laws, so you dont have to worry about a non-paying tenant as they can be evicted over night ie they license contracts and not tenancy contracts. You can invest in complex's where a company manages the apartment entirely for you and you get a cheque in the post every few months

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Sober Too

Yes was looking in here for a Heads up so to speak . Find myself in a slightly similar position to the OP , just a paltry at this point 200K to invest , presently jogging along in two savers accts , exactly !

Tempted to do that RTW thing in style , take a year or two out, before that WW3 thing starts with a vengeance , not even joking !!

What's the craic with film relief?

You never see it advertised to the masses, I noticed sing Street was funded by it

brinty wrote: »
    was using a phone. not really relevant to my Query

I am married and have a 9 and 11 year old. I suppose I would be happy just to beat inflation but would not really want to tie the money up for 10 years
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 16,406 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

I am married and have a 9 and 11 year old. I suppose I would be happy just to beat inflation but would not really want to tie the money up for 10 years
    thanks
    State Savings Bond for 3 years would get you 0.83% return a year, better than nothing!

My 2 cents

if thats all in one bank and the bank goes tits up, youre only covered by the government up to 100 thousand

So first things first - open 3 other bank accounts

You could spend a lot of time reading about ETF investing; but in your case i would advise a professional with a flat fee to give you advice

My 2 cents

if thats all in one bank and the bank goes tits up, youre only covered by the government up to 100 thousand

So first things first - open 3 other bank accounts

You could spend a lot of time reading
    about ETF investing; but in your case i would advise a professional with a flat fee to give you advice
    could you give a basic description of whar snd eft is

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭liam7831

Who in their right mind looks for 300k investment advice on a discussion board, its laughable :D

could you give a basic description of whar snd eft is
    Ah come on now, seriously! You have to do some basic research yourself. Surely you can Google "what is ETF". You're kinda taking the p*ss now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

thanks

Buy 720000 shares in Bank of Ireland tomorrow at 24 cent. Sell at 25 cent. After transaction tax you'll make about 3000.
    Do it again in 2 weeks time.

• Site Banned Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭XR3i

buy silver

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Roonbox

XR3i wrote: »
    buy silver

I second that.

Or if you cant handle the volatility buy Gold. You wont get the same return but it is less volatile.

• Site Banned Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭XR3i

Roonbox wrote: »
    I second that.

Or if you cant handle the volatility buy Gold. You wont get the same return but it is less volatile.

silver volatility could be replaced by, eh , silver stability

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Roonbox

XR3i wrote: »
    silver volatility could be replaced by, eh , silver stability

Not sure what you mean by that - But I have been a fan of Silver for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭b4bmm

newacc2015 wrote: »

Long term Government bonds arent great in the long term. If you buy short term bonds or bills eg 1 year bills. When you reinvest each year, you are keeping up with the interest rate hikes and are more protected from inflation. When inflation start picking up in 3/4 years. OP's money could very well end up losing its real value

OP you should go to a fee based financial advisor. Use one with a flat fee, so he/she has no incentive to push a ****ty product for commission eg a ton of apartments in Bulgaria.

IMO some student housing is a good investment, as you can still pick up the odd one with section 50 on it. Plus Student accommodation has different tenancy laws, so you dont have to worry about a non-paying tenant as they can be evicted over night ie they license contracts and not tenancy contracts. You can invest in complex's where a company manages the apartment entirely for you and you get a cheque in the post every few months
    Add your reply here.
    newacc2015 wrote: »

What advantages does section 50 have?

I don't think student housing has any better of a return than normal housing?
    It may be a cheaper entry point but the maintenance would be much higher I would have thought and usually it is only rented for 8/9 months of the year so you need to factor that in when you calculate your potential returns. Would management fee in a place like this be more expensive, normally there would be security patrols at night which I'm sure would also add to the costs?

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭b4bmm

To the OP.

You have mentioned you don't want your capital tied up for 10 years. That's ok but what is your risk appetite and what is your investment timeframe?

If that's your timeframe then buying a house may not be an option. If you had bought last year when you first asked this question you would probably be sitting on a tidy profit now.

Leave it sitting in a bank or high interest term deposit, not very high interest though.

Invest it in blue chip companies that give dividends. The value of the companies may go down but the dividends will give you a steady 2-6% depending on the company you choose. It's not ideal though if the share price drops as you either have to take a loss there or be willing to hold for longer time. Personally I have no interest in most blue chips as world growth is in a downward spiral that central banks and governments don't seem to be able to have an answer to.

Higher risk stocks. Again you need to be flexible with timeframes as they can take a lot longer than expected to give you a return. Probably no dividend. Could lose a lot of money but could also easily double your money and some.

You don't provide any goals so it's impossible for anyone to get you any little bit of advice. It sounds like you haven't a clue about investments of any kind.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭cronos

I have about 200k myself. Thinking buying's the way to go. Not so concerned on the house value going up as long as it does not go crazy down either. Seems like not having to pay rent in and of it's self will save me lot's of money. Plus I can always rent a room.

b4bmm wrote: »
    Add your reply here.

What advantages does section 50 have?

I don't think student housing has any better of a return than normal housing?
    It may be a cheaper entry point but the maintenance would be much higher I would have thought and usually it is only rented for 8/9 months of the year so you need to factor that in when you calculate your potential returns. Would management fee in a place like this be more expensive, normally there would be security patrols at night which I'm sure would also add to the costs?

Section 50 is a tax scheme, where you can write off the cost of the apartments construction against your income tax bill on the apartment. So it is tax efficient way of investing in property

Student housing has different rental laws. So there is no risk of a tenant not paying their rent for 12/18 months while you have to wait for the PRTB to evict them. Student accommodation is licensee agreements and not tenancy agreements, so there is practically no rights given to the licensee.

You are totally incorrect. Student accommodation is let to tourist/english language students during the summer. So you get rent for 12 months.

If you have several hundred apartments, the cost of security will be marginal. Not all of them have security.

• Advertisement

Roonbox wrote: »
    I second that.

Or buy the S&P 500. Gold offer no dividend and is highly volatile with no risk premium. Compare Gold with the S&P500 and you will see that it is a pretty horrific long term investment

http://stockmarketalmanac.co.uk/2014/01/ftse-100-index-1984-2013-price-performance/

Advertisement