Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oil prices/usage

Options
  • 17-04-2016 2:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,140 ✭✭✭✭

Recently bought a house and in the process of doing it up a little to get it ready for living in. The only unusual thing for us will be moving to a home that uses oil central heating, we have had gas for the past 10+ years, ever since I moved out of home in fact.

The budget does not allow for a change over to gas right now so just looking to gauge some opinions from those with oil as to who are good providers, what kind of prices are there out there, can you do like a direct debit monthly payment, do you go through oil quicker then gas etc.

We have a fire with a back boiler also which I assume will help as it will heat the rads also so no need for the oil to be on all the time.

Pretty clueless on the matter right now, just doing some googling about it. Anybody got recommendations or advice about it?

:)

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

First thing to look at is the oil boiler/burner.

You can get an increase in efficiency of maybe 20% by changing an old burner/boiler for a new condenser boiler.

That 20% can make a huge difference to running costs ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,140 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

How much would I be looking at to get a condenser boiler/burner in?

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

How much would I be looking at to get a condenser boiler/burner in?

Got 2 quotes of €1600 and €1800 recently for upgrading to condenser boiler. Asking friends and neighbours its seems those prices are about the average.

Should add, the €1800 was really just an over the phone estimate and assumes that some pipework will need replacing. The guy who gave the €1600 quote seen the set-up and is happy with the pipework.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭vickers209

Oil is cheap at the minute compared to a year ago you can buy 1000 litres of kero for under €500 and 1000l should last an average house anywhere from 9 months to 12 months.

http://www.cheapestoil.ie/heating-oil-prices/Waterford

Advertisement