Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

who wants to live forever???

Options
  • 16-04-2016 4:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭

People seem to be doing everything possible to prolong their life these days..exercise.healthy eating.avoiding dangerous environments..ect. I just want to live a happy enjoyable life by eating what I want..doing what I like and not worrying about living till I'm 100.. Am I alone feeling like this? Are the hours and years spent trying to prolong our lives worth it???

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

People seem to be doing everything possible to prolong their life these days..exercise.healthy eating.avoiding dangerous environments..ect. I just want to live a happy enjoyable life by eating what I want..doing what I like and not worrying about living till I'm 100.. Am I alone feeling like this? Are the hours and years spent trying to prolong our lives worth it???

I don't think being healthy is about living longer, it's about having a decent quality of life for longer.

Your health is your wealth as they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,973 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

If I live to 85 I be happy but can't see it the way I live my life lol.

One of grans lived to 93

• Registered Users Posts: 25,440 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

I eat healthy and exercise because it makes me feel better. Why anyone would want to be a fat wheezing slob who can barely get off the sofa is beyond me.

I think healthy living is about feeling as good as possible in the here and now and for as long as possible, rather than extending lifespan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

It's more about having a reasonable lifespan and quality of life for most people.

There's a big difference between 'living till I'm 100' and dying of a heart attack aged 50 of clogged arteries/liver disease/etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭drdidlittle

Freddie Mercury asked the same question

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭well spoken man

I eat healthy and exercise because it makes me feel better. Why anyone would want to be a fat wheezing slob who can barely get off the sofa is beyond me.

You missed my point...I don't understand people who spend their time doing something they don't enjoy just to prolong their life...A lot of people enjoy exercise and healthy eating...enjoying life that is what it's all about..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭George Michael

its all about finding the middle road

If someone wants to sit on a couch eating pot noodles and watching wrestling all day then I say let them be happy no need to force exercise and good food onto them if it's against their will...live and let live..

• Registered Users Posts: 25,440 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

You missed my point...I don't understand people who spend their time doing something they don't enjoy just to prolong their life...A lot of people enjoy exercise and healthy eating...enjoying life that is what it's all about..

I have yet to meet someone who doesn't enjoy exercising or only does it to prolong life. People who don't enjoy exercise will usually quit within a month.

• Advertisement

its important to enjoy your exercise. if you see it as a chore you will give up. just today i went for a 50km cycle. loved it. perfect weather. if i didnt enjoy the actual cycling it would be long and tough

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭MacauDragon

its important to enjoy your exercise. if you see it as a chore you will give up. just today i went for a 50km cycle. loved it. perfect weather. if i didnt enjoy the actual cycling it would be long and tough

So there were plenty of toilets enroute then.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,711 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I started cycling seriously when I was 49 and am definitely feeling the benefit of all that exercise and a healthy lifestyle. A few years ago I decided to set myself a target - I want to set the record for longest distance cycled in an hour...

... for a centurion.

Still have nearly 45 years to train for it - If I don't achieve it I'll probably die trying.....

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

I wouldn't object to being a sprightly Gosling of 117 Summers, especially since it emerges recently that mass-stock farming of young people for their blood-plasma to stave off dementia may be viable. I wouldn't run for the kludgie at a chilli cook-off mind you, although I do take regular brisk-ish walks.

Beasty wrote: »
    I started cycling seriously when I was 49 and am definitely feeling the benefit of all that exercise and a healthy lifestyle. A few years ago I decided to set myself a target - I want to set the record for longest distance cycled in an hour...

... for a centurion.

Still have nearly 45 years to train for it - If I don't achieve it I'll probably die trying.....

Who will take up the mantle of the sweaty plaster cast then... :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

He also wanted it all, now.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,056 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Beasty wrote: »

... for a centurion.

When I was a kid, I wanted to be a centurion. :)

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 8,389 ✭✭✭cml387

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭PLL

For as long as I can remember I've had the feeling I'm going to die at 70. I don't know why I just never felt I would live to an old, old age.

If I lived to 80 I'd be feckín delighted. My kids would be 60 and 55 and I'd see my grandkids grow. Good enough for me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭FalconGirl

I think 200 would be about perfect. I think 80 years on this planet is way to short especially when you spend a huge chunk of them years working and sleeping. It seems the older I'm getting the shorter the days are :-(

• Advertisement

i remember a man telling me once that id probably get a heart attack or a stroke or cancer or Alzheimers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

Says it all really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭UrbanSprawl

Noel Gallagher wants to live forever,he wrote a song about wanting to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭drdidlittle

He also wanted it all, now.

He did have one vision as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

i remember a man telling me once that id probably get a heart attack or a stroke or cancer or Alzheimers

Statistically, one of three men won't pass about 65. If you're the type that exercises somewhat regularly, eats fairly decently, and doesn't binge on alcohol every other day, you have a good chance of being in the right side of the lottery.

Look around at society, every second person is overweight and making no effort to change, regardless of their age. It's incredibly easy to take the steps needed to give yourself a good chance of a decent, healthy lifespan - it doesn't mean depriving yourself either.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,673 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Statistically, one of three men won't pass about 65. If you're the type that exercises somewhat regularly, eats fairly decently, and doesn't binge on alcohol every other day, you have a good chance of being in the right side of the lottery.

I will be lucky to make it past 65. I walk a lot,and have started climbing again, but as i have a crap diet, and i drink a lot on the days i'm not working, i;m on course for a heart attack or some form of cancer linked to bad diet or alcohol abuse well before i reach 65. if i have good genes, i might get away with and live into my sixties or seventies, but i probably won't.

• Site Banned Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭XR3i

in 300 years ireland will be a desert

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

If you have strong legs you will remain mobile for longer, and therefore will be able to exercise and live longer.

*plus try and avoid getting cancer, heart attack, stroke, legionnaire's disease, ebola, weal's disease, emphysema, aneurism, epilepsy, leprosy, malaria, auto immune diseases, Alzheimer's, septicaemia........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Thespoofer

The sex is better when you're fitter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

And Oasis answered it.

Advertisement