Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Anybody mixing 2 pack paint anymore?

Options
  • 16-04-2016 12:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

Hi all I'm looking for some 2 pack finish paint to do some small repairs on my car but all the local motor factors only mix water based now.
    I really don't want the bother of water based drying/lacquering etc. because I'm not set up for it and it would cost too much to go to a spray shop.
    I'm in carlow so anywhere in the south East would be great.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

naulpolan wrote: »
    Hi all I'm looking for some 2 pack finish paint to do some small repairs on my car but all the local motor factors only mix water based now.
    I really don't want the bother of water based drying/lacquering etc. because I'm not set up for it and it would cost too much to go to a spray shop.
    I'm in carlow so anywhere in the south East would be great.

Thanks
    George Mahon auto parts in Gorey did it until very recently, I bought a can of colour matched paint off him less than a year ago so he's worth a call.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭naulpolan

kev1.3s wrote: »
    George Mahon auto parts in Gorey did it until very recently, I bought a can of colour matched paint off him less than a year ago so he's worth a call.

Thanks I'll give him a call

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭gavman1

Jl bradshaws still do it AFAIK.worth giving them a bell.

O'Brien Road
    Carlow
    Co. Carlow
    Ireland
    353 (0) 59-9140966

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

Halfords used to do it, metallic only though.

gavman1 wrote: »
    Jl bradshaws still do it AFAIK.worth giving them a bell.

O'Brien Road
    Carlow
    Co. Carlow
    Ireland
    353 (0) 59-9140966

Bradshaws are not doing it anymore I phoned them on Friday and they didn't know of anybody else doing it either.

• Advertisement

hi5 wrote: »
    Halfords used to do it, metallic only though.

Thanks, I'll give them a try it's metallic I'm looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭gavman1

Don't take this the wrong way but are ye sure it's 2pack your looking for.halfords only do cellulose in aerosols.2pack refers to mainly acrylic paint that uses an activator/hardener to cure the paint, celly uses evaporation on solvents.just thought I would mention it cos people tend to confuse 2pack with 2stage paint I.e clear over base.

If it's celly your looking for its difficult to get now.there was a place in kilkenny that sold it but that was a while ago.can be got online from the UK but postage is a batch.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Bradshaws are not doing it anymore I phoned them on Friday and they didn't know of anybody else doing it either.

EPT mix cellulose and 2k, was in with them last year in regard to getting paint for a restoration project. Think its 'trade' only, but if youre looking for a few litres for a resto project I'm sure they'd mix it.

As it turned out they couldnt make the celly colour I wanted so I went up to Vinny Byrne in Dublin (he has a website by the same name) and got a colour matched perfectly to a sample. They also supply 2k paints. Kind of a one stop shop with great service!

I have a few touch up pieces to do on a mk2 golf and (as far as I know) I need to use a 2pack to save all the hassle of messing with heating water based paint to cure it, and then lacquering to finish. I have used 2pack in the past and it was much easier to use, just 1application and I'm finished. I'm not too fussed about colour matching as it will all be covered by wheel arches and bumpers and a few bits under the bonnet.

I tried EPT a few weeks ago and was told that they don't mix 2pack anymore!

Please correct/advise me if I'm wrong on any of the above.
    Many thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭mountai

AFIK You get the paint in separate tins and mix it yourself . When mixed, you have a time period before the catalyst starts to set the paint so only mix what you can use within the time period. That's how it works with 2 pack primer anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

mountai wrote: »
    AFIK You get the paint in separate tins and mix it yourself . When mixed, you have a time period before the catalyst starts to set the paint so only mix what you can use within the time period. That's how it works with 2 pack primer anyway.

I think by mixing he means mixing up the colour codes, not the actual paint + hardener.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

I have a few touch up pieces to do on a mk2 golf and (as far as I know) I need to use a 2pack to save all the hassle of messing with heating water based paint to cure it, and then lacquering to finish. I have used 2pack in the past and it was much easier to use, just 1application and I'm finished. I'm not too fussed about colour matching as it will all be covered by wheel arches and bumpers and a few bits under the bonnet.

I tried EPT a few weeks ago and was told that they don't mix 2pack anymore!

Please correct/advise me if I'm wrong on any of the above.
    Many thanks.

They still mix it alright, just not keen I guess on supplying to the general public :rolleyes: Vinny Byrne in Dublin is your best bet for small amounts, give em a buzz or drop up and they'll match the color ot have it on file....

http://www.vinnybyrne.com/mixed-colour-1k-2k.html

They still mix it alright, just not keen I guess on supplying to the general public :rolleyes: Vinny Byrne in Dublin is your best bet for small amounts, give em a buzz or drop up and they'll match the color ot have it on file....

http://www.vinnybyrne.com/mixed-colour-1k-2k.html

Sound thanks. I haven't had a chance to do anything with it since last weekend but I will suss it out now.

Advertisement