Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just when you thought the BBC couldn't stoop any lower

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

So essentially you're not happy with the CGI?
    Would you have preferred another solution? Blurred?

Tbh, I don't think it's creepy. It's quite lifelike and better than blurred.

I saw daily mail in the url and didn't click it, what did i not miss :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

biko wrote: »
    So essentially you're not happy with the CGI?
    Would you have preferred another solution? Blurred?

Tbh, I don't think it's creepy. It's quite lifelike and better than blurred.

Did you watch the documentary Biko?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Quite clever actually

Did you watch the documentary Biko?
    Just the clips in the linked article.

Perhaps it's because it's new? You're not used to it yet?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Stacker Pentecost

I don't get how it's a disgrace. It does look crap though.

Apparently lowest stoop yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Stacker Pentecost

^I suppose it is if you're just looking to be outraged.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I think it's the first time a Daily Mail headline didn't even have to be misleading:

BBC is accused of 'creeping out the nation' after using CGI to disguise Jimmy Savile sex abuse victims in chilling documentary

It certainly does raise the question, what manner of idiots in the BBC actually approved of this going out on air?

It completely distracted from the victims stories being told. The whole idea of a human interest piece is that it by definition uses actual human beings, not... whatever the hell that idea was supposed to be!

biko wrote: »
    Just the clips in the linked article.

Perhaps it's because it's new? You're not used to it yet?

Alrighty then! An organisation that covered up and dismissed the abuse of his victims until pushed :( made a gesture documentary to cover their arses. I find it deplorable anyway:mad:

• Advertisement

I think it's the first time a Daily Mail headline didn't even have to be misleading:

BBC is accused of 'creeping out the nation' after using CGI to disguise Jimmy Savile sex abuse victims in chilling documentary

It certainly does raise the question, what manner of idiots in the BBC actually approved of this going out on air?

It completely distracted from the victims stories being told. The whole idea of a human interest piece is that it by definition uses actual human beings, not... whatever the hell that idea was supposed to be!

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Arsemageddon

Fvcked up though that CGI is, it's still better than having a Tweenies version of Jimmy Saville...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

Jaysus. At least you lot don't pay for the BBC in the form of that ridiculous license fee. I wouldn't care if I never saw another BBC programme again.

But don't youse pay to watch the even worse rte brigade. Why in 2016 are we forced to watch tv.?

timthumbni wrote: »
    I wouldn't care if I never saw another BBC programme again.

I thought ye all watched Nolan Live up there.

Tim my my boy, I think you're going to have to surrender your nordie card to the relevant authorities.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

BBC are left wing to the core. I'm not sure why you're apologising for using a Daily Mail link. The Left don't usually report on their own faults do they? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

I thought ye all watched Nolan Live up there.

Tim my my boy, I think you're going to have to surrender your nordie card to the relevant authorities.

The Nolan show is the jerry springer show of Northern Ireland. Though Nolan s even worse for playing devils advocate. Very low rent show. In saying that he hasn't done a show titled "I married my horse"......

Though it's only a matter of time.

The Nolan show is the jerry springer show of Northern Ireland. Though Nolan s even worse for playing devils advocate. Very low rent show. In saying that he hasn't done a show titled "I married my horse"......

Though it's only a matter of time.

True enough, but the horse show Nolan Live will only get made if it's 'I'm a republican marrying a loyalist horse' or 'I'm a loyalist marrying a republican horse'

It'll be like Romeo & Juliet, but with a lot more beastiality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

I never associated the been with stooping.
    :/

• Registered Users Posts: 20,414 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

The Daily Mail using it to get punters on its site seems like a much lower stoop.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

I read about the documentary but didn't know they did that. It is a bit weird.

The BBC were very culpable in covering up his abuse, and that of others. Did they mention that?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker

I don't get how it's a disgrace. It does look crap though.
    Yep, and I think there's a fair argument for something like this (if it didn't look like ****), in that it might help, in a small way, to reduce the shame other victims may feel (if every account you hear of similar experiences comes from some shadowy figure, how else are you going to feel?).

It does look like **** though, my issues with it are a lot more to do with that and how distracting it is to be confronted with a new approach regarding such a delicate matter. Was worth experimenting with, but not worth actually broadcasting.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,235 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I saw daily mail in the url and didn't click it, what did i not miss :D

Fake outrage

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    I read about the documentary but didn't know they did that. It is a bit weird.

The BBC were very culpable in covering up his abuse, and that of others. Did they mention that?

They did, but in the way where they tried to absolve themselves of their cover up imo. You have to watch it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

BBC are left wing to the core. I'm not sure why you're apologising for using a Daily Mail link. The Left don't usually report on their own faults do they? :confused:

People do often comment on threads with links to the DM with remarks to the tune of "Daily mail, no thanks" which is a bit silly since the same stories are printed in every other major paper. Obviously the politics of the publication will effect the way the story is presented but anyone should be able to filter that out and get the key information. I suppose there's a case to be made for not wanting to give their site traffic if you consider it to be a force for evil. I love rage reading though. Therapeutic.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Today, I watched the "Abused: The Untold Story" and saw this badly thought out CGI of the victims. What do you think?
    I think it's a fecking disgrace and also shows a total lack of sensitivity towards the victims tbh.

well in fairness i'm sure they were consulted beforehand about it, but i agree it was a mistake it looked terrible and distracting, if the subject matter wasn't so serious it would be laughable

why couldn't they just use silhouettes??

btw - the first guy looked like singer sam smith

• Registered Users Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭CFlat

I was flicking through the channels the night it was on and when I came across it I thought it was about burn victims because the faces were so badly distorted! I found it very distracting but I wouldn't have thought it was offensive in any way.

IMO BBC is quite a bit ahead of RTE when it comes to programming so I don't get the dissing of it by some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭failinis

I think it gives an "uncanny valley" effect - human but not quite 100% normal so makes some people get creeped out.
    A disgrace? No. A distraction from their stories? Yes.
    No harm in trying out new methods instead a black shadow and voice actors but this may not have worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Sir Osis of Liver.

When I came across it I thought it was one of those sh1te "When Cosmetic Surgery Goes Wrong" shows.

It was freaky looking and too distracting.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Jaysus. At least you lot don't pay for the BBC in the form of that ridiculous license fee. I wouldn't care if I never saw another BBC programme again.

But don't youse pay to watch the even worse rte brigade. Why in 2016 are we forced to watch tv.?

Who's forcing you to watch tv?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,050 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Who's forcing you to watch tv?

Orders from the Order. :)

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement