Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

accents on d'telly

Options
  • 15-04-2016 11:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭

Just wondering does this happen everyone? Watched two episodes of peaky blinders there and I find myself thinking and speaking in a Birmingham accent .. similar happened me when I was last in London for a Weekend I was speaking in a Cockney accent , hadn't realized til my then BF pointed it out.
    so is that normal?
    Am I weird? (No need to answer that)
    Does it happen everyone?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Sheep Lover

I watch RTE for a while and end up speaking away in some convoluted west brit accent. I has to go to confession and speach therapy to cure me of it some times.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

Ah dunnae kinn whit yoo're talkin' abit. i've jist finished th' Taggart boxsit an' huvnae threatened tae mudder anybody yit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭tupenny

Lols

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭tupenny

****. Too much internet

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

I watch RTE for a while and end up speaking away in some convoluted west brit accent. I has to go to confession and speach therapy to cure me of it some times.

You mean 'are TV'?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭degsie

OP, yes you are weird OR you are a sad lonely sociopath who never felt the embrace of a loving parent. My 2c.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Arsemageddon

S'all in the game yo....

.....now hand over your stash 'fore I pop a cap in your dome.

-I've been watching The Wire again.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

tupenny wrote: »
    Just wondering does this happen everyone? Watched two episodes of peaky blinders there and I find myself thinking and speaking in a Birmingham accent .. similar happened me when I was last in London for a Weekend I was speaking in a Cockney accent , hadn't realized til my then BF pointed it out.
    so is that normal?
    Does it happen everyone?

No, ..., no :p

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭anto9

>>Just wondering does this happen everyone? Watched two episodes of peaky blinders there and I find myself thinking and speaking in a Birmingham accent .. similar happened me when I was last in London for a Weekend I was speaking in a Cockney accent , <<

No ,i lived for 20 years in London without picking up the accent .I prefer my mild Dublin accent anyway .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Sir Osis of Liver.

Peaky Blinders was the best thing the BBC made in years.

If ye haven't seen it lads you should.

Its like Breaking Bad in the"20's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

If your accent changes while you're abroad, you're a weak person IMO.
    If it changes while you're watching telly...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Watch an episode of Glenroe and you'll be sorted

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭PLL

I'm actually from Birmingham, I didn't have a strong accent though. I spent 2 months every summer in Ireland and would pick up an accent which lasted about a week when I went back. I then moved here at 18 and now have an Irish accent with an English twang. Some words occasionally come out in complete flat English and people stare at me like I'm warping into another person or have a split personality :)

I've lived in a few counties here and I seem to pick up dialect and slang quickly - mayo snd kerry being the quickest e.g. I say 'Ah lads' a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

I watch RTE for a while and end up speaking away in some convoluted west brit accent.

Killinaskully will do that to you alright.

Not that I know as I've never watched it, but I've heard....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

tupenny wrote: »
    so is that normal?
    Does it happen everyone?

You met Londoners with an actual Cockney accent? I've met far more people with strong Irish accents than Cockneys there.

Advertisement