Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Run python script on the cloud - Bluemix?

Options
  • 15-04-2016 10:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭

Hey folks

i want to run a python file, lets say every day to update a db
    how would be the best way to go about this.

ive looked a bluemix and i like how it works, but i dont want a "webapp" i dont want a user.. I want the file to run and thats it. I also want db space.

I want a webserver as well will go to a web hosting company for that and just php into the db. But if i could get an all for one that would be great

Thoughts.
    Free if possible (student)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭counterpointaud

bpb101 wrote: »
    Hey folks

ive looked a bluemix and i like how it works, but i dont want a "webapp" i dont want a user.. I want the file to run and thats it. I also want db space.

I want a webserver as well will go to a web hosting company for that and just php into the db. But if i could get an all for one that would be great

Thoughts.

Maybe look at Digital Ocean, for what you describe maybe a machine with a LAMP stack and MySQL installed, and just set up a cron job for the python script. Then you have everything for $5 a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 rwsz365

You can get Blue Mix for free as a student using https :// education.github.com/pack . This also gives you free credit towards AWS and Azure. All of these should allow you to create a minimal VM that you can just ssh into and schedule a cronjob to run your script.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

As above you can get AWS EC2 for free on the smallest option for free for a year and can just ssh into it and create the cron job for running your script, should be relatively simple.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

You could also look into AWS Lambda, which is designed for running scripts without the need for a server:

https://docs.aws.amazon.com/lambda/latest/dg/welcome.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

bpb101 wrote: »
    Hey folks

Thoughts.

Yep, Bluemix is probably your best bet:
    • You can run python scripts, as well as bunch of other programming languages, including Swift (also on the server)
    • Has a bunch of database options, both RDBMS and NoSQL
    • It has a number of web hosting features, ranging from node through to Websphere, including PHP and others.
    • It also has a bunch of other features that you won't find anywhere else - look at the catalog.
    • It's free under the IBM Academic Initiative - ask your lecturer for details (you have to renew every 6 months, but that's just a formality)

• Advertisement
Advertisement