Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So, Reds or Greys?

Options
  • 15-04-2016 9:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭

Something's feasting on the cones in my Norway Spruce.

I'm pretty sure this is squirrel activity, but my Googling of many images of cones eaten by Reds and/or Greys isn't enlightening me much.
    We haven't seen Greys around here for many years (or decades), and have never seen Reds.

I did meet a Pine Marten on the lane the other day though :D

Anyone care to offer an opinion on what might be doing this?:
    383360.jpg

383361.jpg

383362.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭cd07

Id imagine its greys iv seen this many times on the golf course i work on and theres no reds there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Melodeon

Feck!

Ah well, let's hope my Pine Marten finds a mate and makes lots of little Pine Martens :D

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭mountainy man

I have reds that do this in my garden which is bordered by a sitka spruce and lodgepole pine plantation, I could take photos identical to yours. I have seen them at it and they are certainly reds as there are no greys here that I know of, also a healthy population of pine marten too.

So no reason this couldn't be reds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Hotei

I'd guess it's Red Squirrel activity, and just because you haven't seen any doesn't mean they're not there. I've been walking a Coillte plantation close to me here for years now, and it was not until last week that I could confirm for certain that Reds were present. This plantation also has a thriving population of Pine Martens. Grey Squirrels don't appear to like cohabiting with Pine Martens for the most part. This is an interesting read: http://www.irelandswildlife.com/squirrel-pine-marten/

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

Wherabouts in the country are you Melodeon, and what squirrels are closest to you?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

It's usually the obvious answer is these cases. Where are you? What squirrels do you usually see?

I had a colleague who maintained be could tell the species of squirrel by the way a cone was chewed, but it was far from 100% accurate.

Pine Martens in an area does not mean Red Squirrels.

We have Pine Martens locally, spruce cones knawed like that, and not a red squirrel within 20.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Melodeon

Wherabouts in the country are you Melodeon, and what squirrels are closest to you?
    It's usually the obvious answer is these cases. Where are you? What squirrels do you usually see?
    Middle of Laois.
    I've never seen a squirrel of any sort here, but my brother claims to have seen Greys in the old woodland a couple of decades ago.

Advertisement