Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PME vs PGCE help

Options
  • 15-04-2016 8:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi everyone,

I'm posting here to ask about costs of post grad degrees in Primary Ed. I really hope some of you who have completed the PME through Hibernia or the UK route of the PGCE can help me.

My question is which is cheaper, overall? I know the fees for the Hibernia post grad are expensive (€12,700) but I'm thinking I could be working part time to get by and repay a student loan. On the other hand, the PGCE is about £9,000 (I think) but I'm aware you can get a bursary of between 4,000 and 9,000 pounds. Also, would I be able to work part time while doing the PGCE (which is a year full-time)?

I'm not entitled to a SUSI grant for a post graduate degree. To get me through my undergrad I worked every weekend and also got the half-grant from SUSI. Without this financial aid, college would not have been possible for me.

Which of these options would be more affordable for the duration of the course?

Thanks so much for any help!

Advertisement